1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

front end wreck repaired. Won't shift into D or R.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by prius4ed, Feb 21, 2010.

1. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry, I posted this last night but can't find my post nor replies to it. I'm new to this site. Hope this post works. My 04 Prius was in a front end wreck, and having no comprehensive insurance I did the mechanical work myself - radiator, fenders, hood, inverter, inverter coolant pump. Still looking for the air filter box, 2 airbags (strg wheel and rt dash), and 2 front seatbelt retractors. Questions: Car sat around maybe 3-4 years. Probably half tank in it. Could be stale? I installed the aux battery from my 06 Prius, and charged it up. 04 Prius won't engage D or R. It goes to P and N ok. Upon boot up, I get the "ready" light for 5 seconds, then it goes out. If I disconnect the aux battery, and leave it for a day, the first time I boot up I think the ICE engine will try to turn over very briefly (1/4 second). It won't let me do that again, unless I pull a battery cable and wait overnight (or at least a few hours, I surmise). When I try to shift into D or R, I sometimes get the error "transmission park error...park on flat surface and set parking brake" (or something) on the MFD (I heard this was due to a weak aux battery). I get the red triangle, and the check engine, brakes, ABS, and skid lights are on. Sometimes, I get the red "car cut in half" light on the MFD. Before I tow it to the dealer with a blank check, is there an easy fix? Should I install a brand new battery? Should I check the brake pedal switches (I heard there are 2)? What else can I check? Fuel pressure? Check if gas is stale (how?)? Remember, the airbags & seatbelt retractors & other SRS parts are still deployed and haven't replaced them yet (need leads on cheap new/used ones and to decide which other parts to replace). I heard the car should run w/o these replaced. I think I need an independent tech with a Toyota scan tool. I'll consider all leads?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As a minimum, you need a Toyota scan tool (newest system is a laptop and software) and factory service manual. You need to find out what codes are set after you get the Ready light and have the initial start attempt that does not work.

Re: Stale gas. I have read that gas can go stale within a few months.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry I can't help much. Yes, 1 year old gas is stale. You'll have to mix in some premium to raise the octane level. The airbags are going to be a problem. Not sure if you'll be able to buy/install used ones.