1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front hub assembly Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DrTrivia, Oct 10, 2017.

1. DrTrivia

DrTrivia Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is just kind of a courtesy post, for anyone who needs to replace one of their front wheel hub assemblies. I replaced my rear hubs recently, and they're very, very straightforward. Remove the brakes/rotor and front facing bolts holding it on, then wail on it with a slide hammer until it comes off. I discovered that the front hubs are not as straightforward, and that the general repair guidelines I've found are incorrect.

These are the special notes:

My Haynes/Chilton manuals, as well as some YouTube videos, state you need to disconnect the hub from the steering knuckle and the lower control arm. This is a ton of work, a general pain, and requires work in high-torque bolts in a closed space. The reason for this is that the bolts holding the hub assembly on are reverse-facing (bolthead screws in from behind, not in front), and because the axle blocks access to them. However, once you get the axle nut off, you can press the axle in a few inches with your thumb. It's not enough to get the axle entirely out of your way, BUT, with a 3" socket extension, you CAN get around the axle (pressed in) to remove the bolts. I found it a little easier to use a 3" wobble extension, but it's not necessary. It also gives you enough room to spray some penetrating oil in the back to work in to the rust. So you just saved a bunch of work right off the bat.

I used a hub puller to try and get the assembly out. What wound up happening was it separated the hub/bearings from the assembly (which remained firmly stuck). I have read comments about people running in to this issue a lot. With the hub removed, there's nothing to grab on to in an attempt to push/pull it out. I got around this by punching the lug stems out of the hub and bolting the hub on to the assembly. I do not have the metric sizing of the bolt holes, but you can probably look it up. I used a 5" bolt and threaded it in the the (now empty) bolt holes which held the assembly to the car. The hub holes do not line up with the bolt holes, but I could put one bolt in nice and tight, and pound on the hub with a hammer. Then I'd switch to a different hold and repeat to free up the remainder of the hub assembly. Basically, with the hub bolted to the assembly, you have a surface to strike at to "pull" the hub out.

Grit and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Both are relatively straight forward, but the rears are easy in comparison ;).

I just did the drivers front and attempted the passenger front, but couldn't get a good fit:(. I'm punting on that until later on in the year.

We have 164 k miles on our 2010 Prius II and it was time. There was ~1/16" play in the hub once removed.

The passenger wasn't as bad, but I have a Moog hub coming for that on the second go round:) .

As for removing the hub assembly, ensure the axle nut is drilled out to ensure marring of the threads does not happen:

IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG

We used a chisel to separate the hub assembly with use of PB Blaster for good measure;).

Check to ensure the axle and new hub assembly marry up well. This is how we found the issue with the passenger hub.

Double checking your work saves a potential issue later(y).

Attached Files:

#2 Raytheeagle, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Grit likes this.
  3. David Scott Dallas

David Scott Dallas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just finished with front hubs on both sides. On the right side the hub came out with a few hammer blows (firm taps) sideways on the hub at the bolt hole protrusions but it was FIRMLY attached to the axle. Borrowed a puller from O'Reilly's. The hole pattern is a little large on the puller. I had to pop out the three studs I was using and allow them a little side ways movement to get all the lugnuts on.

The left one was the opposite. The axle pushed out with my thumb but that hub was stuck like Chuck. A slide hammer might as well have been a fly swatter. I went to Home Depot and got some bolts and nuts (3/8) and used them as pullers. I popped the studs out and then tightened the bolts through the stud holes against the knuckle. Just like how you use bolts to pull the rotors. Came right off. Didn't disconnect the control arm. Just don't forget to pull the speed sensor. Just a 10mm bolt and it pops on and off.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Something like this?

upload_2017-10-15_10-57-26.png

6. David Scott Dallas

David Scott Dallas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yeah. Not as pretty. But exactly like that. Pretty easy.

Mendel Leisk likes this.