1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front "leather" seat falling apart. Warranty issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DavidA, Jun 21, 2012.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wondering if anyone else here has experienced this sort of thing with their seats. To me, this looks like some sort of dry rot or materials deficiency. Has there been a Toyota service notice to dealers for this sort of thing? Anyone successfully get a dealer to repair this situation?

Car is a few weeks shy of 3 years, and has less than 20K miles on it. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't recall the exact thread but several others members have posted about this issue and got it resolved through their dealership under warranty as far as I know. All I can recommend is to swing by your dealership. They shouldn't have an issue with replacing your seat from what I've heard on the forums.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's going to be difficult to prove they're not user-inflicted damage considering how precise the cuts are. How do you explain the dirt underneath the large cut?

4. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They aren't cuts, and I don't see dirt underneath either in person or in the photo. There are different layers of foam backing behind those that would explain the color change in the back set. There is also a tear at the very apex by the back.

5. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the dirt they are reffering to is shown below in this picture as if something was rubbed up against the seat, causing the cuts or tears. Either way, it's going to be up to the dealer I do believe.
    [​IMG]

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Look at your photo again. There's a trail of dirt on the side under the largest tear.

Technically, the cuts/tears/whatever you want to call them are in the vinyl, not leather. The leather is found only on the seating surface. The rest is constructed of vinyl (and synthetic leather on the center console and doors).

7. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, thanks, I know it isn't 100% clean right below this, but dirt didn't cause these tears. A cut would possibly explain one, but not all four+ tears on this.

8. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If anything, just clean the dirt before you stop by the dealership so they don't question it. Good luck, and update us on any further developments!

9. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd get to the dealer immediately as it isn't normal wear & tear. Good luck.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How does the vinyl feel on the edges of the splits and near the splits? It might be defective vinyl that is too brittle and failed from normal bending. Good vinyl would feel pretty soft and flexible on the edges of a tear, it it split from a defect in material it would feel stiffer and harder than normal vinyl.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with this. If that area is brittle then you have a good case of getting it covered under warranty. If it's still soft like on the other side it's going to be beyond difficult to prove it's not an user-inflicted damage.

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's obviously not cuts. The edges are too ragged. This area is often the first to suffer damage as it gets flexed a lot as you get in and out, and usually just from use, not abuse. But it shouldn't happen for at least 10 years! It can be repaired for a reasonable cost. We'll see what the dealer says.

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Going to agree w/ the masses - this is clearly cracks from flexing.

I've noticed on mine that the side vinyl is shrinking near the plastic cover, exposing the foam beneath. I'll ask next time I'm in, though it may not warrant a full seat replacement.

15. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Follow up:
    Today was the dealer inspection day. Fully expecting "...that's normal wear and tear, and there's nothing we can do for you there... yada, yada. yada..."

I met with Brian, the dealer service manager, and before he even found out I was their own customer, he said, "yeah, that isn't anything you should ever expect, but you have something here that we'll work with you on, and get it replaced." I then said, like someone mentioned above, that in seven to ten years I would expect this...; Brian completed the sentence "...not even then, not with our cars."

He's getting the seat rebuilt with a new panel. Their custom shop across the street closed up, so they're checking with other aftermarket places that do custom leather and vinyl work so we can make the appointment. I remember Riggs Bros. Interiors being one of those possible places, though I haven't seen them around in many years.

I will follow up again in this thread once the repairs are completed.

So far this is much more than I expected (I expected a vinyl repair kit).

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you all are making me nervous since my 2010 is past its 3 years. being one of the first to get one may not be all its cracked up to be since i dont get the advantage of the heads up on possible issues but... well, hold on a sec...

ok, back. i checked car thoroughly and have to say, "blame it on the weather" probably too much time sitting out in the hot sun. due to my "EVness" i have never parked my Prius in the garage or any covered parking. guessing yours maybe result of your record breaking hot weather (which btw covered ALL 49 states with WA being the ONLY exception) we did not enjoy (current temp is 57ยบ @ 10:35 AM)

now, i did remove the car seat which does put a pretty deep indentation into the seat cushion, but it has no cracks or whatever. but since a car seat covers it, not prone to sun damage.

i guess we need to poll where these cars are, how much sun they get and do you ever leave your sun shade open on your sun roof (i do not ever since it only makes the car that much hotter)

now mine is the dark gray so maybe we should add color in case that is a factor

17. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interior color is bisque.

The thing is, the damaged panel is too low for sun damage, and if any heat build up parked outside at work got to it, it is still at the lowest part of the interior. Dryness perhaps. But being vinyl, the material should be tested to extremes, including lifetime of use. Frankly, 2.9 years is a bit on the low side for the material to give out like this. I weigh 135lbs. Even if I was 300, this shouldn't be happening. Obviously, Brian was quick to agree, and admitted that he's seen other cars (though not yet any recent Prii) experience the same defect, and in the same exact place. Toyota was saving cash here I think, only to credit back their dealers later.

18. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Glad to hear they stepped up.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

weight is not a factor. the primary driver of my Prius weighs in the 240-250 range. moisture may be it. the Puget Sound Region definitely has plenty of that!

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You don't have much to worry about as obvious factory defects frequently appear much earlier than the 3 year mark. There's a thread in which someone reported that the entire top of the leather steering wheel disintegrated before his eyes and this is a good example of an obvious factory defect. The Prius interior is already protected from UV damage as the factory glass is treated to have at least 89% UV cut rate. Your leather is subject to the same heat whether or not a car seat covers it so you'd see any damage from heat if there is a factory defect.