1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front left wheel bearing making loud noise - quoted $348 repair cost - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seth4, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for clicking and I appreciate any and all responses.

I’ve had the car inspected and a non-dealership shop told me that it was my front left wheel bearing. The car was bought used and has 293,000 miles. I don’t know if the bearings have ever been replaced before. There’s a very loud grinding and strong vibrations when going ~30 mph and >50mph; the noise ceases almost entirely when making a fairy sharp left turn. Something about the car’s weight being to the left alleviates the friction, I think.

So my questions are, so any of you have experience with bearings? Do these things sound symptomatic or bearings wearing down? Is $348 reasonable and does the Prius require extra steps or could I do this at home, for cheaper? I have mechanic friends that could potentially help for cheaper. I do want it done well, though, for sure.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is that price for one or both? Which one is creating the noise? How thick are the brake pads?

$348 for 2 bearing replacements isn’t a bad deal.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Seth4, Mendel Leisk and SFO like this.
  3. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Chances are it's going to be a hub replacement, then an alignment, I've done front bearings on two prii both at 60,000 miles, both were wonderful afterwards, terrible before, try for a few other quotes, I'd do both sides, and I'd do front shocks at the same time, but that me.

600$ is for both with alignment as i remember, if you have the tools and skill pressing new bearings would be considerably less expensive.

Just saw the last sentence, the shop is replacing both wheels hubs, not just bearings, that's a great price, but does it include an alignment?
    And then your second post, it's actually an electrical problem......

#3 Usle, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Seth4 likes this.
  4. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is an imgur link to an image of my dashboard and it’s lights. I was unable to upload it directly. upload_2018-10-6_15-16-11.jpg

I had my brake shoes replaced by this same shop a few months ago, and these lights were on then. I took it in because one night my brake became in operable, and I had a complete brake fluid leak. I was expecting them to go away after those repairs but they’ve remained, and after the brake shoes, the grinding started. Should I be concerned about these lights? I know what the manual says, but the car still works aside from the new grinding. I know the risk but I use my car for work, I certainly do want everything fixed though; that’s why I’m asking you beautiful people.

The grinding sound is primarily on the front left wheel to the driver.

I believe the quote is for both, this shop said they couldn’t (or wouldn’t) order the bearings individually.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like a clearance issue or something stuck somewhere.

I would go to a different shop if they cannot help you diagnose the dash lights. The car is telling you what is wrong, you just need Techstream to help identify what to fix.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Seth4 likes this.
  6. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think the front just unbolts. Rears need pressing in.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Seth4 likes this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might try jacking up the wheel, then grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock *(or at 12 and 6), push and pull on opposite sides of the tire while feeling for any play.

Seth4 and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here’s an imgur album with pictures of the left and right fronts. I understand there may be no useful info from these. The first two are the left, 3-4 are right. I’m unable to take the wheels off atm but I do have a family member with a lift.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I understand you:
    1) Shop replaced the rear brake shoes and the warning lights remained on, AFTER the shoe replacement?
    2) Grinding sound started after the shop replaced the shoes.
    3) Brake system failure due to fluid leaking. Allegedly this was repaired, BUT, warning lights still remain.
    4) Its possible the shop forgot to clear the codes AFTER supposedly providing the repairs. But, too many things point to the shop's competency, and make me believe otherwise.

You have heard of cause-and-effect? If I hit you in the stomach, and your stomach begins to hurt, would you not attribute the stomach pain to me hitting you in the stomach?

That shop SUCKS! You clearly have a problem with the brake system, and the car is telling you this with the warning lights and audible grinding sound, but you act as if you are deaf and blind, by not taking action.

If you divulge what city you live/work in? Maybe someone can direct you to a competent shop close to where you live/work.

Yes, cost is important, but getting something done CORRECTLY, COMPETENTLY, and the FIRST TIME, is probably worth more?

YES!

#9 exstudent, Oct 6, 2018
  10. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand the tone of urgency but I’m not unaware of what’s happening; I appreciate your response but it seems a bit condescending. Yes you understand everything correctly. I struggle with finances; I have to search for economy options when available. I would rather be poor than dead though, or hurt someone else. I’m simply trying to assess my options for repair. I’ve had my suspicions about the reliability of the shop, as well.

I live in East Central Indiana, near the Ohio line.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately w/ written communication, misinterpretation and offense occurs too easily. Text does not covey visual and audible clues. If you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, does it really matter? 1) Our paths will likely never cross. 2) You will have your close circle of friends/family and will continue to live happily every after, as will I. 3) Is the infomation factual and relevant?

Given your location, you should contact Steve at AutoBeYours, in Scottsburg, IN. They can work miracles with Prius, as they turn salvages into driveable cars. He may know of a competent and reputable person/shop closer to you, if Scottsburg is too far away for you.

He/his company has been very good with people who have been encouraged to go there or call.
    This should give you some comfort. Two good outcomes of people who went there: check engine light, PO 301 Cylinder Misfire code | PriusChat

Good luck.

#11 exstudent, Oct 6, 2018
    Seth4 likes this.
  12. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do appreciate your responses, and what you say is true. It’s not a big deal but in a way our paths are crossed already; we’re interacting here. We should always try to stay civil. I understand that’s not what you may have meant, but that’s just a vibe I got.

Thank you so much, I will get in contact with them. Thank you for the good wishes, too.

13. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Your fist post is one thing, your second post is quite another, I'd head to a Toyota dealer and let them hook up the OBD2 port Gizmo and then proceed, the first post was bearings, the second post is brakes, a pebble grinds, but dash lights are an indication of failure of ? Parts.

Your mechanic sounds wonderful, but electronics in a Prius require electronic equipment readers, well worth the money to a Toyota dealer to fix the problem not the symptoms.

Seth4 likes this.