1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front license plate bracket screws

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Lou Bowski, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Lou Bowski

Lou Bowski New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all,

I bought a used 2011 Prius that came without plates, originally from a state that doesn't require front plates. I ordered a bracket for mounting the front plate but it didn't come with screws.

Question:

What size/type of screws do I need for mounting the front license plate bracket?

Thanks!

2. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stop in at a Toyota dealer and ask the parts department and detailers. The former is responsible for the correct parts and the latter installs them on all new and used cars.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Lou Bowski likes this.
  3. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The bracket itself is held on by screws that just go through the plastic bumper cover. You can get a screw set from any generic auto parts store. There is nothing special about the screws.

This is my mounting job with a generic bracket. The screws that hold the plate onto the bracket have plastic washers behind them to keep them from rubbing against the bumper cover.

#3 NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Lou Bowski likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you've got the stick North American plate holder, there's two fasteners types with stock bracket.

What holds the license plate frame to the bumper is a pair of coarse thread screws with 10mm hex head. It screws in like a sheet metal screw, directly into the front bumper plastic. At the corner/underside of the bumper is a similar screw, albeit a bit longer. Here's a couple of pics of both, license plate frame is on the right, with maybe 1/2" threaded length:

IMG_6457.JPG IMG_6458.JPG

Holding the license plate to the frame is a pair of fine thread domed head screws. This screw is roughly 9/16" overall length. For comparison: the rear license plate has the same style of fastener, albeit (again) a bit longer. They appear to be stainless steel. Here's a pic of both:

IMG_6456.JPG

First time I've had that off, lol.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Lou Bowski likes this.
  5. Lou Bowski

Lou Bowski New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the awesome replies.