1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

front lights

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by JoanneSpeakman, Sep 18, 2015.

1. JoanneSpeakman

JoanneSpeakman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    want to upgrade my lights can't see at night very well any more with my original headlights; any ideas on an upgrade as far as front headlights?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "... any more ..."
    Does that mean these headights used to work well? If so, do you have an idea what has changed?

3. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  4. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My recommendation:

Industry Best H11 Morimoto Elite HID Kit : HID Systems : The Retrofit Source

TRS kits are high quality, very well made, and provide crisp, clean light output. I installed their H11 35w 5500K kit and the difference from the stock headlights and another HID kit I had been using is absolutely amazing. The 5500K bulbs provide a pure white light. The TRS guys are also extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Complete plug and play made the install very easy, but you will need some basic tools and general know-how.

5. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The Retrofir Source is your best bet. However, I have been running DDM hid kit on my C since 2013.

6. spyderx

spyderx Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    55w DDM HID kit I believe, for like 38 dollars. It's been reliable and very bright.. almost like my bimmer.

It's gotten brighter since I source the power directly off the battery sourced link... using a relay wiring I bought. Use the stock wiring for switching on/off... =stock lens do a great job in focusing the light beam... GL

7. JoanneSpeakman

JoanneSpeakman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    new car so I don't think that is the issue

8. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Can you post more details how to do to make it brighter?

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Using a relay harness with a thicker gauge wire to transfer more power to the HID ballasts. The oem stock wiring isn't very thick, so using a relay harness with 14 gauge, or lower, wires may give you more current/brighter lights.

10. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Upgraded the C with HID 4300k 55w AC ballast and it made a HUGE difference!

11. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Where to plug in the thicker wire and still using the original light switch? Do you have a link for your relay harness?

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I made my own dual relay harness, using 12 gauge wire from the battery to the relays, and 14 gauge wire from the relays to the ballasts and ground points. Dual relays, because I didn't want both lowbeams to be dead in the event a relay failed, Morimoto's dual relay harness does the same. Almost all other aftermarket HID relays use only one relay to send power to both ballasts.

I installed it on my Camry, so it's connected directly to the positive battery post. If it was on the Prius, it would be connected to the engine fuse box, where the heavy gauge wire from the auxiliary battery enters the fuse box.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the harness has standard H11 connectors, one of them connects to the oem lowbeam harness on the driver's side to trigger the relays when the lowbeams are turned on at the stalk. The oem connector on the passenger side is unused and sealed against weather.

#12 xliderider, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  13. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recommend Professional Factory Lexus. See the link in my sig. The proper way to get brighter lights vs. slapping a generic cheap chinese kit in.

orenji likes this.
  14. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm using a dual relay setup as well and recommend it. They are only $17 pre-made and look fantastic.

This one is a bit more but you can probably find a cheaper one if you shop around:

http://amzn.to/1FsaJer