1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front passenger floor panel soaking wet, tried wet vac on drain tube

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Al T, Aug 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Al T

Al T New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2007 Prius. The front passenger floor has been collecting water for a couple weeks now. It soaks the floor mat and the carpeting underneath. I can see water dripping down from under the glove box area.

I’ve done some research here, and am pretty sure this is AC related. It’s been very hot lately. I started with the AC drain tube wet vac approach, where you pull the tube out from under the front passenger side, hook up a wet vac with tape, and run it for 3 to 5 minutes.

It didn’t resolve the problem, so I started looking around some more and noticed on the left side panel of the front passenger footwell, there is water coming out from something there as well. I’m not sure what this part is, I can’t attach a video apparently, so I’ve attached a couple pics of the area that is spurting out water when the AC is on. Any help identifying it and resolution suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe try running something narrow and stiff up through the evaporator drain hose? Whatever is clogging it, seems like the wet vac didn't budge.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you can pull the A/C drain hose out of the floor, can you trace it back to where it connects to the housing and CAREFULLY remove it? Don't want to tear the hose or break the plastic it goes onto. (A bunch of water might come out- might want a plastic tray to catch it). It's not uncommon for a bug or spider to crawl into the hose and make a little (waterproof) nest. Easier to clear it when it's out in the open.
    Sometimes there is some debris in the housing and I have to use some stiff wire or a plastic zip-tie to clear it out. Compressed air with a blow gun is real handy for this if you have it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Al T

Al T New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the replies, I will try out both suggestions and report back.

SFO likes this.
  5. Al T

Al T New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wasn’t able to access where the drain tube meets the housing (well, not comfortably without possibility damaging something)… but I ran a slim fiberglass pole up the drain tube, then repeated the wet vac technique. So far so good! It hasn’t been as hot the past few days, but I have used the AC on low and haven’t seen any more water leaking inside. I’ll report back after I’ve had the AC cranked on a hot day, then I’ll know for sure.

6. Al T

Al T New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No more water leaking in the car! Thanks for the help, I think the AC run off drain tube just got super gunked up over the past 14 years and needed to be cleared.

HondoMan likes this.
  7. Bryan Salazar

Bryan Salazar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey im facing the same issue any idea where i can get the tube at?