1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front passenger side triangular window shattered

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dkelly, Mar 29, 2012.

1. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This morning, driving to work the small front passenger-side triangular window ("front side fix window glass" in the service manual) shattered. I was going down the highway at 65 mph with very little traffic. The temperature was 55 degrees F. I heard a sound similar to a plastic soda bottle imploding. Since it was dark, it took a few minutes before I saw exactly what happened.

The glass is still intact; it's just shattered. There is no apparent sign of impact from the outside.

I have just over 60K miles on my 2010. I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle getting it repaired. Looking through the service manual, it appears I would need at least two different types of primers and an adhesive to do the job myself, plus the car would have to sit idle for 24+ hours. So it might be less trouble to get the work done by the dealer or an auto glass shop.

I haven't gotten any quotes yet but my insurance deductible is $500. I'm assuming (hoping?) the job will cost less than that so it looks like insurance won't be of any help. I suppose I'm hoping there might be a service bulletin out there regarding this issue, but this is probably just a pipe dream.

Has anyone had something similar happen? How did you resolve this issue?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The glass costs less than $100 MSRP, so you will be well underneath $500. Probably $200.

3. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got the glass from the dealer for $94. I had called Safelite who quoted me $450. When I told them I could supply the glass which I had gotten for $94, they miraculously reduced their estimate to $100 for the install. I continued shopping and found a local auto glass place that quoted me $75 to do it in my driveway. I'm having the work done tomorrow; I'll report back then.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you get a quote from the dealer for the installation?

5. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's interesting that it just shattered for no apparent reason.

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tempered glass tends to do that... It is made stronger by creating a lot of internal stress within the glass, but if something disrupts the balance of the stress, making it uneven, the glass shatters. This can be a tiny little nick or chip, an impact, a manufacturing defect, thermal stress, etc.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was wondering if perhaps the car had been involved in an accident at some time in its history, weakening its structure a little.

8. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually, yes. I hit a small deer (coincidentally along the same stretch of highway) about a year and a half ago. I had the front bumper cover and fog light replaced. Then, just a few months ago, I was rear-ended and had the rear bumper cover replaced. Never any major damage but the recent rear-ending caused a serious jolt.

9. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Have been hit lightly on the front and rear ($600 rear and $1200 front) now I can look forward to my glass shattering--can't wait:p

10. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder if insurance companies take this into consideration when they make their adjustments.