1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front right sight line, Prius v (lowercase v)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by magflo, Nov 16, 2015.

1. magflo

magflo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello, I'm downsizing from a midsized SUV and was shopping around the compact SUV segment. I convinced my 6' tall skeptical husband to check out the Prius v and he agreed on its spaciousness so we narrowed our search down to the Honda CRV and the Prius v Hubby favors the CRV because he loves his Honda Ridgeline and because he's concerned about the pick up and ground clearance on the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) (remember we are currently a truck and SUV family). I favor the Prius v (for reasons you all know!) BUT the problem I'm having each of the four times I've test driven it is the visibility on that front right side. The dashboard seems to go out very deep and then the front slope of the car makes it hard to judge that front right corner. It also feels like it has a wide turning radius. When I make a right turn on to a street where there is a vehicle in the opposite direction I feel like I'm afraid to turn too wide and hit that vehicle or I'm afraid to turn too sharp and hit the curb. Can anyone share if they experience the same? Will it just takes some getting used to because I'm 5'3" and used to driving seated higher up or is this a shared issue among Prius drivers?
    Thank you

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You're going to have the same issue with most any similar car. Vans have the same sloping hood. The v has a pretty decent turning radius and decent visibility. I'd suggest you raise the seat.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You really won't be able to see the front hood or fender no matter what. I can't see the front very well and am 6'3", but you do get used to it. The real issue is legroom for a taller driver. An extension bracket is available (example here) that helps and does not require drilling, cutting or welding. But it is pricey and requires removal of the seat.

Tall driver example:

Installation video:

#3 rjparker, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. magflo

magflo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, RJ, my husband doesn't need a seat modification but you articulated what it is I'm experiencing. I don't expect to see my front fender from the driver's seat but I'm not seeing any part of the hood at all and that's what's throwing me off. With so few replies I guess it's a good sign that people do adjust.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I think that the dimensions of any new car take some getting mentally adjusted to. I'm 6 feet and came from a CRV and didn't notice any big difference. My 5'6" wife hitches the v's seat forward a bit and adjusts the mirrors but other than that she hasn't commented. She normally drives a larger sedan with a higher hood line. I find hers ponderous in comparison

What model year with what seat adjustments are you testing?

6. magflo

magflo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've been testing the 2015 model with the seat height at its highest setting, the back upright but with the seat further back because because I've got long legs for my height. Guess I'll just need to test drive again.....

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius was strange to drive at first. It seemed like there was no front; sort of like a "Smart Car"... but it's that way for aerodynamics which increases mpg..
    smartcar.jpg

#7 rjparker, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As noted above, any new vehicle's size, wheelbase, turning and sight lines require some experience to understand. Our fleet includes a CR-V and a v, and drivers vary in height from 5'8" to 6'4". Other than moving seat and mirrors, no squawks, and no light taps getting used to the turning footprint.

9. magflo

magflo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I test drove it (and the CRV) again yesterday and adjusted my seat more forward than I'm used to but that did the trick, I felt more aware of the front perimeter of the car.....now to make up my mind already about which one! I would be the main driver of this vehicle so I get final choice but my hubby and now my sons too are all voting for the CRV. For ease of driveability I prefer the CRV, for just about everything else I prefer the Prius v...ugh,what to do? With all that's going on in the world though I have to put my car buying dilemna in perspective :) Thanks

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you want 4 wheel drive and towing capability with an extra 0.7" of ground clearance then the Honda is a no brainer. If you want the best mpg then Toyota prevails. Toyota as a brand has the highest reliability but Honda is close behind. The mpg advantage is only important if you drive a lot or gas goes back to $4 while you own the vehicle. If you are not buying the 4 wheel drive option or needing to tow with this vehicle, I would probably go with straight economics; overall cost of ownership which might vary according to options and miles driven.

#10 rjparker, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The v with its longer wheelbase is a more stable road car.

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd get the RAV-4 before a CRV, but that's me. Hybrid RAV-4 will be out soon too.

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just out of curiosity, I looked back at the spreadsheet I used when buying and was surprised.

I had used 1,000 miles a month and 6 years of ownership. And I adjusted gas prices to the current $2.10 with no inflation or change (quite a change from the $4.66 I had used when trying to talk my wife into not buying her Avalon and a year later me into a v).

RAV4s are getting 24.7 MPG and v are getting 41.5 MPG or so (fuelly averages).

So the gas cost difference is around $2,500 over 6 years or around $45 a month. Now if gas goes up to even $3.00 that difference goes to $3600.

CRVs are reporting around 27.5 MPG which drops the difference over 6 years to just $2K at today's prices.

Only you can decide.

14. magflo

magflo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, that's helpful! Thinking about it more in economical terms is helping me feel closer to a decision.

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    YMMV; we get closer to 18mpg in the 2005 CRV...