1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Seat lower cushion issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Phoenixsomd, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Phoenixsomd

Phoenixsomd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recently took my Prius in for it's 10K maintenance work and noticed that the front edge of the lower cushion on the driver side front seat was coming apart. I have a IV with leather seats.

The dealer checked it over and has replaced the lower seat cushion for free citing defective material (a white plastic flange that clips over the metal frame) as the issue.

I noticed that the front passenger seat cushion appears to be loose as well.

Has anyone else had this issue come up?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not with the seat coming apart but I am having trouble with a metalic 'rattle' noise from within the seat. See other thread.

3. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NO the seat seems to be fine so far. Wow didn't know the Prius Gen3 has so many problems or defects. Damn. If it contiue like this it will be the bottom of the the list for reliablity.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for making me check. I noticed the exact same problem on the driver's seat on my IV. Now every time I enter the car I can't help but notice it. Thanks a bunch! :)

You say the dealer replaced the lower seat cushion? Are you talking just about the foam itself, the foam and leather, or just the plastic flange? Are you sure they didn't just reattach the plastic flange? Do you know if there is a TSB for this issue?

I know, too many questions...but I'm due for a state inspection next month and want to have all of my ducks in a row when I bring this to their attention.

Thanks.

5. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the same problem, was just searching the forums to see if anyone else also had this issue. I have 12k on my 2010 IV will take it to the dealer as it will only get worse.
    When they replaced your seat bottom did the new one have the same plastic clip? Both my front driver and passenger seats are separating at the outside corners, hopefully Toyota will look into the quality control for the seats.

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can you guys take a picture of the part in question?

7. baileydg

baileydg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Low resolution of front leather seat cover problem. Dealer ordered replacement for both seats. (picture is upside down for what ever reason)

Attached Files:

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, I've lived with my driver's seat cushion separation issue for over a year now, and it hasn't gotten any worse, but I figured I should get it fixed while the car is still under warranty. Here's a picture:

View attachment 31306

Two parts were ordered:
    71512-47070 / PAD, FR SEAT CUSH / $270.06 :eek:
    and
    71072-47230-E1 / COVER SUB-ASSY, F / $1073.72 :eek::eek:

71072-47230-E1 is the leather cover, in beige, along with the seat heater assembly. It appears that both come as a unit, and are not sold separately.

As far as pricing goes, the ones quoted above are from the dealer, which may include labor. I checked on ToyotaPartsEast.com and found the retail prices to be:

71512-47070 / $179.08
    71072-47230-E1 / $715.81

71072-47230-E1 was modified in May 2010 from the original in April 2009, so it's a known issue. I'm not aware of a TSB.

The difference in pricing makes no difference to me, as they are being replaced under warranty.

I'll provide an update once the parts come in and are installed.

9. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just tonight, my wife was getting in our 2010 V and she noticed the plastic clip sticking out from under the seat. I guess I'll need to take it in to be fixed.

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Is your's an early 2010 or later one? It would be nice to nail down when Toyota got into defective seat covers so future buyers could stay away from those cars.

tnx,
    Mike

11. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine was purchased at the end of July 2009, so it is an early unit.

1 person likes this.
  12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine is an early model as well. Bought it on 07/08/09. As I mentioned above, the seat cover was modified in May of 2010. If anyone is aware of a TSB, please share.

1 person likes this.
  13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the new modified seat cover cure the early aging look of the leather? I have read that the leather seats look very wrinkled after a very short time. Maybe that wrinkling was from the cover being loose?

Thanks,
    Mike :)

14. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The dealer called today and said the parts were in. I'm getting them installed on Friday. I'll take some pictures and post them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new seat cover color matches the seat back. If it's an obvious mismatch I won't accept it.

15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, I just picked up the car and I must say they did a nice job. The color matches, and I poked in and around the seat cushion to see if I could find any issues. None were found. All electrical connections were made up as the lumbar support works and there is no airbag warning light. I'll have to wait a few days until this heat wave passes in order to check the seat heater operation, but I don't suspect a problem.

The only real issue was that it took almost two full days to install the cushion and seat cover. They said the leather doesn't have as much 'give' as the cloth cover and it took three or four attempts to stretch it enough to fit correctly over the frame.

Anyway, so far, so good. Of course, I'll be keeping an eye on it...;)

P.S. - I realize now that it would make no sense to take a picture, as there's nothing to show but a normal, properly fit, seat cushion.

16. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  17. Lsegovic

Lsegovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi I had the same problem in the passenger's sit, the clip was coming off all the time
    I went to the dealer and they push the clip (same thing I was doing before) they told me the sit is fixed!!! next day was off again I called the Toyota corporate number raised hell then the dealer put a new leather sit cover!

Now looks bad with wrinkles is not flat as before! Damn! Toyota cheap quality!

at least they fixed your without changing the leather just the clip!

18. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had not checked this thread in quite a while, my dealer replaced the passenger seat covers and they matched well. Now the clip on the driver's seat is coming loose, but my 3 year warranty has expired due to time not mileage, will have to see if Toyota will fix this since they replaced the passenger side. Don't know what to expect.

19. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know if this is also an issue with the Softex seats? Or did they get it corrected before the Softex came out?