1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front sensor to detect high curb?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by goldenyears, Oct 4, 2016.

1. goldenyears

goldenyears Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The front bumper on my 2010 Prius has suffered countless parking scrapes from high curbs and I will take a hit on trade-in value for that. I'm contemplating buying a 2016 or 2017 Prius and I would like to avoid the same damage from happening again. Do any of the available Prius technology options include front curb sensors? If not, is anyone able to share their experience with aftermarket products to provide a high curb warning?

2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Worse yet .... I understand the 2016/17 is lower.

Still worse ... here in the mountain west, it rains so infrequently, the streets are deeply guttered to handle rain in the absence of storm drainage. Going from a main street to a side street must be done very carefully or you'll drag the front end. Interestingly, the street in front of the local Toyota dealer service drive is deeply scarred from front ends scraping.

To answer your question .... I know of no solution.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2016 is better than my previous FORD Fiesta, probably better than the Focus I had before too.

You might be able to have a parking sensor mounted low - but you'd need to get one which you can modify the sensitivity so it didn't beep a metre before, but closer. Talk to an auto accessories installer, they might have had the same question before.

RCO likes this.
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They still sell "curb feelers". Those spring things that dangle down and make a racket when they touch something. You could mount one on the front so it protrudes at about a 45 deg angle. If you're going slowly it would warn you.

In Pearl S I've even hit the rear backing in, and THAT'S a high curb! No damage though.

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Or you could install a front facing camera, similar to the reversing one.

RCO, alanclarkeau and raspy like this.