1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Speakers Worth Replacing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spoolinq, Apr 29, 2013.

1. spoolinq

spoolinq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2012 prius III navi non-jbl and looking to upgrade the audio setup. I'm going with spiderman's recommendation of the squawker dash speaker upgrade and was wondering if it's worth it to replace the front door speakers as well. From my research, it seems as though the rear door speakers are not worth upgrading unless I plan to upgrade everything else (amp and subwoofer). Any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. By the way, I plan to keep my HU.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get the factory wiring diagram first. Thoroughly plan before you start. Verify no problems will exist between chosen amp and factory HU. Match all speaker components to the amps power output and impedance, very important. Use matched speakers...brand and level. Mine is a combination Kenwood, JL and Hertz, but it works fantastic because I followed these guidelines. Even Frankenstein systems sound good if balanced and matched electrically. Good luck.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know, I still have my OEMs with the JL 900/5HD powering them and I think they sound great. Of course my sub is doing the heavy lifting and I have a high-pass on the rest of the speakers at about 100Hz.

Replacing the squawkers were probably the most noticeable improvement to me. Blessing and let us know what you end up doing.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Gen 3 non-JBL non-Nav that I replaced all speakers on. Dash and front door speakers made a big improvement. Rear speakers it was had to tell a difference unless you are in the back seat, then it still wasn't a real big improvement. If I was doing it over I would probably skip doing the rears but definitely do the dash and fronts.

5. spoolinq

spoolinq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Thanks for all the info guys! Do you know which front door speakers pair nicely with the Pioneer TS-A878 dash speakers?

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The attached .pdfs are what worked for me. I added a small value fixed resistor to balance the sound level between the door and dashspeakers.

Attached Files:

genetiix likes this.
  7. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I did 6x9 on my fronts and really like the upgrade.
    I would not go 5 1/2 in the front.
    5 1/2 I put in the back and hardly notice them unless I balance the sound way back.

8. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I went with Infinity Reference Series 6x9 in the front doors to match up with the Pioneer squawkers. The reference series was recommended by Tommy @ Music Box to match the impedance and power from the stock head unit. The sound is really good and the bass is much clearer. I did add some dynamat style sheets ( Fat Roll ) to the doors and that helps a lot as well.

Tracksyde likes this.
  9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks for sharing!