1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Strut replacement: alternatives

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Skyhook, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook Aussie Expat Abroad

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    O.K, a couple of weeks ago, our Prius started to develop a slight knocking sound coming from the passenger side front( RHD version )( drivers side on an American Prius ), over high frequency bumps, which chatters ( quietly ) over undulating road surfaces.

I suspected that it was either a anti roll bar bush or a FUBAR'd shock absorber insert, until I had a spare moment to pop the Prius up on a hoist to take a look underneath.

Well it was confirmed ( yesterday ) as soon as I had the wheels dropped, while the hoist was raising the car lol, with a nice torn rubber boot and lots of oil dispersed all over the joint lol. The strut is absolutely knackered lol SEE PHOTOS lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, now I need to replace both front struts, the rear ones seem to be fine, with no leaks, my question is, is there there any difference between GEN II Prius LHD cars and RHD versions, in regard to struts ?

Are US after market struts for left hand drive cars the same as right hand drive versions ? I am thinking that they are the same, is this right ?

I have heard good reports about KYB struts being a good OEM alternative to the Toyota factory part, or is there something a little better than the KYB, I do not want a bone shaking sport shock in the front, I would like to retain the supple ride that I had before that handled pretty sure footedly prior to the strut bursting....

Any ideas ? As I have looked at Koni, Tokico and Bilstein websites, ( no mention of Prius in their lists ) which are struts that I have used in other cars I have owned before, but from what reports I have read, the KYB/Monroe struts seem to be an improvement over the standard Toyota version.

I am happy to buy from an online US supplier and have them shipped to Hong Kong with new dust cover boots if they are identical.

Many thanks :)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    KYB produces the Toyota front struts and rear shocks. It's not clear to me whether the KYB-branded parts are better or worse than the parts that you can order via Toyota.

I suggest that you refer to toyodiy.com and compare the strut part numbers for the US model vs. your RHD model to see whether there are any differences or not. Good luck.

3. Skyhook

Skyhook Aussie Expat Abroad

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply Patrick. Cheers :)