1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Strut Replacement Noises

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jesse Floyd, May 12, 2022.

1. Jesse Floyd

Jesse Floyd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced the front struts and mounts on a 2010 prius with 320k miles on it. The passenger one was totally gone so I got both struts (strut only not quickstrut assembly), sway bar end links, and strut mounts. Did the entire job pretty easy with the cowl off and now there is a clunking noise. I am really just looking for confirmation that I'm an idiot. The new strut came with the nut to secure it to the mount but the new mount came with 3 nuts AND an unthreaded cylinder that seems to fit the strut piston perfectly. I left these 2 pieces off and I'm thinking that these were to "space" the strut enough to where it was snug on both sides. I'm going to tear apart and redo the job tomorrow and I'll update if that was the issue. I am fully expecting that that is the problem, if anyone has personal experience or has done the same thing then I'd love to hear your input.

Parts used: Monroe strut on closeout for $48 apiece (normally $109 each), Monroe strut mount also on closeout for $18 apiece (normally $62 each), delphi sway bar end links for $16 each.

I think I was just confused because I've never had to put a spacer in between the strut and the strut mount (but then again I'm fairly new to suspension work so this could be the norm) at the very least I hope this thread will help someone else if they have the same issue