1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Struts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sas0611, Dec 1, 2019.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 165k on my 08 and will need my car inspected this month. I’ve been hearing a soft and randomly occurring clunking sound from front left wheel area. It’s not constant but even irregularities on straight and smooth roads can illicit it. I checked the shock and the rubber shield ring is hanging so I’m guessing I’ll fail inspection on shocks.

I can purchase whatever I want and my shop will install it. So the question is what make of struts should I be researching and ordering? Can you tell me what is a fair price for installation?

Thank you in advance.

2. yossi

yossi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    KYB seems to be on par with OEM, some even claim it is better. Also check that it might be the control arm bushings that you hear knocking

3. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Front right is most likely the upper strut mount? The dust boot is just extra protection, they get torn a lot. When shocks/strut's get worn out, they usually leak. So if you did not see it weeping? Then it is most likely the upper strut mount?

But if it still has the OEM setup, anyway then it's way pass time to change them all out, front and back. Just add the upper strut mount's to the pile of part's there not expensive (upper strut mount's) and not labor intensive. The upper mount's have to come off to change the struts anyway. So it's best to just change them out at the same time.

And yep KYB's, are on par with OEM shock's for quality compartment's, but not the same for ride quality? They tend to be a bit stiffer in rebound and jounce. The car will handle better all around but if you have crappy roads with a lot of pot holes? The ride will be a bit firmer?

And yep it could be the control bushing's also but in a "Prius?" Not likely what tends to destroy control bushing's is oil leak's and as a general rule oil leak's are not a "Prius," issue? :)

4. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One thought on the clunking sound..
    Have you checked the sway bar linkage?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

picassopigeon likes this.
  5. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That would be a good call, on most car's. But Prii as a general rule don't tend to leak? Anti freeze or oil leak's and the Rad fan blowing those fluid's around would tend to destroy rubber bushing's.

But leaking is not something Priii, seem to do? On our 2005 with 211,000 miles on it. The inverter hoses are kinda swollen and funny looking?

They do need to be changed out. But it's a debate between me and my wife. I say I can do it and she want's the Hybrid Shop to do it, as it's our only running car. :)

But that is easy to check, all you have to do is look at the bushing's and see if they look wet or swollen. :)

6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi. So to check this without a lift can you just manually try and move the sway bar? I'm guessing jacking up the car to unweight the suspension also might help. However if I'm going to put the entire front end on jackstands I might as well spend a little time and money and just replace the bushings. Hmmmmm.