1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front suspension problem solution

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by mahout, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    well, you see some of us want the gazillion mpg and cornering too. actually being able to corner faster ,means less loss of mph which being made up means less mpg. the closer your minimunm speed to average speed the higher the mpg.
    as for close tolimits I've been sideways in my prissy a lot. it happens when you track any vehicle and work at minimizing lap times, especially when raining.
    ah, yes. there are lots of car owners who use their vehicles as a washing machine. thatswhy autonomous cars are being developed.

I did have a HX. got 50 mpg regularly and achieved 100 mph at savannah main straight but my CRX Si much aster at 115 mph. raced crx's in 85, 87, 89, and 90. stillmy favorite racer out of almost everything from 167 cars I've owned.

#21 mahout, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Great info. Here in June, or so, our Lexus NX300h F-Sport will deliver, and I'll have the Aqua all to myself. Plan is to use it in local gymkhana events. Quite a bit of aftermarket suspension support here in Japan for it.

Maybe the administrators can come up with a high performance forum.

3. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    we ended with cut springs from the prius c to drop the car by one inch and stiffen the springs. we ended with 15x7 wheels with 45 mm offset mounting 205/50x15 tires, Dunlop Direzza Star II, (tho I believe BFG Rivals may be at least equal) and squared rear wheels with 1 mm each side toe in and 1 mm toe total in front; the increased track from just less offset wheels brought the camber to just about straight up. with the low torque of the c engine negative camber was not thought to help much. the front ASB is disconnected, but not removed; a rear antisway bar didn't help much in reducing understeer so we never kept it.
    that c drives well and handles traffic much better than the OEM mainly because OEM wasn't going for hndling.
    others with same setup have used 16 and even 17 inch wheels/tires but the successful comp ones have not exceeded 205 section tires. apparently wider tires are too heavy. the thing now being considered is the use of 3 mm spacers to reduce offset to 42 mm and see if they don't lead to rubbing. we pretty well found that 40 mm will and bodywork is forboten as it attacks the trade-in value. good luck.

cyclopathic likes this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thnx! I just installed the TRD bar, had alignment correct to factory and the OEM understeer is 80% gone. The out of dealership both fronts had toe-in set to more than 1/2" (.52" left and .53" right) not sure how that happened.. perhaps spring settled?

TRD bar helps but it looks like it may have been better to go with smaller size. It improved front grip but it also feels less grip in the rear. Haven't tested but I am afraid that if there is more grip in front car will have the "split personality" - oversteer at high speed/small steering input and still understeer in low speed tight corners.

My next step front camber kit and toe-out. Yaris owners are running as much as 2.7deg neg camber with factory rear. This is apparently how far you can get with smallest 12mm? factory bolts to stay within rule book. Kit is marked as +-1.75deg, but in my experience you usually get less than that, more like ~50%

Wheels are out of the question - not spending money on new rims and tires; at least for now.

Update:
    in addition to rear TRD ASB put front camber kit. Kit is marked as -1.75deg and we put it on max. On previous alignment the front was aligned to -0.5/-0.9deg. Not sure what the actual reading, definitely less then 2.2-2.6. The toe-in was corrected by 1 turn, not sure if that was enough will need to check at some point. UPD: right correction is 2 1/3 turn

with rear ASB and negative camber kit understeer reduced significantly, it turns alot sharper and grips better. The only complain as the speed increased so did a body roll. But that would need lowering and better shocks - not happening.

I think Rivals do not come in 15".. you have to go to 16" to get them.

So the rims with +35 offset will rub even with 195/55?

#24 cyclopathic, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  5. mertechperformance

mertechperformance Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Also low tq? are you kidding? this thing has crazy good torque for such a small, light , low hp car. hybrid is all about torque. can;t look at electric or ice hp/tq all on their own as they're most always working together, full throttle through a corner, yeah, plenty of torque for what it is.
    Merged.....
    I feel as though he's saying 45offset with whatever width he's running and 205 tires rubs on the INSIDE as to why adding spacers to lower the offset to stop rub.

#25 mertechperformance, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a $1000 question. I've been looking at getting Konig Dail Ins with ZII StarSpecs, so they could be swapped btw Prissy and Bitsy. But dail-ins have 35 offset. He says body work, so is it plastic, fender, inside or out?

I made some measurements and I am sure it is the fender rub. On stock wheels +5mm spacers looks like 195 will rub.