1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front suspension/shock absorber problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alster, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Alster

Alster New Member

My new 2005 Prius seems to bottom when exiting a parking lot in Pasadena that slopes down to Foothill. Are there any known problems with front suspension or shocks?

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is it possible that you are dragging the air dam in front? You may need to exit that parking lot very slowly at the point that it drags to avoid further damage.

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Ray,maybe dragging the front air dam. Around here I have seen no suspension or shock problems on any year Prius. Maybe if you look under the front you can see where the plastic has rubbed :roll:

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: You may also find that the front "air dam" drags on curbs. There's not much road clearance at that point. As I recall, checking that "air dam" is an item on the "Delivery Checklist" since it is relatively easy to damage.

5. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Checking the "air dam on the Delivery Checklist"? The list says to check the Prius over yes,but not specifically the air dam. Maybe you are thinking of the "Install the rear lower side spoilers". :wink:

6. Alster

Alster New Member

Well, it seems some insulated wiring got exposed as a result of the plastic being scraped. The driveway from the Ralph's shopping center is not abnormally steep, but I now avoid it. Does this seem like a warranty repair? Both the air dam scrapes, paint and exposed wiring?

I would appreciate an affirmative reply. I only got my Prius in January and would like to avoid expensive repairs?

7. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it would be warranty,but I would find out what the exposed wiring was. Hope the damage is not to bad.

8. Alster

Alster New Member

Thanks. Its not exposed, but insulated still. Its only exposed insulated wiring on the drivers side. Is this proabably headlight and fog lamp wiring?

9. Alster

Alster New Member

Thanks. Its not exposed, but insulated still. Its only exposed insulated wiring on the drivers side. Is this proabably headlight and fog lamp wiring?

10. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes maybe fog light or I think the ambient temp sensor is behind the bumper and it maybe that. Headlight wiring would not be that long to hang down. Not sure without seeing it or knowing color of wires. :roll:

11. Alster

Alster New Member

I am being very careful and am still finding this low plastic apron to be a problem? Is there any type of fix to avoid serious damage to the wiring, etc.? The air dam is extremely low, so this must be a problem that's been addressed by the dealer in other parts of the country? Here in California its been raining terribly and potholes and poor roads are not uncommon. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. To recount, the front scraped after going down a driveway and after visiting a realtor the car wouldn't start (thought battery was dead on new car) and I called Prius service. The the car started up and I cancelled the Prius service. I was about 350 miles from home in Northern California. I'll probably take it in to the dealer this week, but would like some feedback from the the board before I go, if possible??