1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front tire wear both inner and outer edges

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PrimalPrius, Mar 10, 2020.

1. PrimalPrius

PrimalPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello,
    I have a 09 with 245k miles (so all front end components are suspects) that I have owned about 20k miles. Both front tires are wearing on both edges (both edges about equally badly) with the passenger side front tire wearing a bit faster. Should not be underinflation because I usually keep them at about 40psi. When I jack one side tire in the air and grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock and push in and out, there does not seem to be any excessive play, but it's hard to tell because the opposite tire that is not jacked up also turns on the pavement. I did not notice any odd movement in either tie-rod. When I grab a tire at 12 and 6 o'clock, I don't notice any movement that is not consistent with the car moving also. I placed a long piece of pipe under the tire and lifted the tire and I did not see any odd movement or sound out of the ball joint. The control arm bushings visually seemed ok.
    Frequently when I brake the ABS light flashes on even during very mild braking under good conditions. Could a bad bearing causing resistance that is light enough that I don't notice it cause the ABS light to kick in briefly every now and then during even mild braking? So far all bad wheel bearings I have encountered have given noise.

#1 PrimalPrius, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Call around or look online/print material for an alignment shop that offers a free inspection, they might be able to tell you what the issue is.

You could also have stored DTCs (codes), try locating a hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner and see what pops up.

3. soitgoes

soitgoes New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm no expert but I think that this needs to be up on a lift to really see what is going on.