1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Valence Bar Attachment to Bumper Cover?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, Apr 1, 2023.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm replacing the plastic front end parts on a Gen 2 that was in a fender-bender accident that shattered the bumper cover and splash shields.

Could someone clarify for me the use of black U-shaped plastic fasteners on the lower plastic bar known as "The Valance" in some explosion diagrams? In other diagrams this long, thin plastic part is known as "the lower spoiler". It contains two rows of perforated tabs.

In this posting I'll call the long thin part The Valance.

It appears that four things terminate on The Valence:
    • the left side under motor splash shield
    • the right side under motor splash shield
    • the center under motor splash shield
    • the bumper cover

I know that stuff terminates on The Valance with collection of U-clips with #14 threaded bolts through them. It appears that the left and right side splash shields overlap each other at the center, anchor to a metal radiator support bar with M6 bolts, and then anchor with U-clips to a row of tabs on The Valance.

So far, so good, but I'm choking on what comes next.

How does a second set of U-clips manage to anchor both the bumper cover and center splash shield to The Valance? These U-clips are fairly large but it seems there isn't enough space in the U-clip's jaws to squeeze all of this plastic at once.

Is it possible that the bumper cover's lower edge is merely hooked to the U-clips rather than being squeezed by the clips' pinched jaws?

I need to disassemble another Gen 2 to fully understand this. Too much stuff is landing on The Valence, and I'm distracted by Toyota's strange choice to have the side splash shields covered by a redundant center splash shield.

2. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I've mis-described the assembly sequence above. The right and left splash shields are sharing the same U-clips as the bumper cover tabs, not the center shield.

The redundant center splash shield alone terminates on The Valance's bottom row of tabs.

So my challenge is to understand how the upper row of U-clips is able to deal with the bumper cover, both right and left splash shields, and The Valence--all at the same time.

3. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Never mind. I got this figured out. The correct clips attached to the bumper cover are not U-clips but S-clips. The distinction is that the black S-clips have two slots in them facing in opposite directions.

One slot in the S-clip accepts the tab on the bumper cover. The other slot in the S-clip accepts the right/left splash shields.

The white U-clips are used to secure the center shield to the bottom row of tabs on The Valance.

Thanks for letting me ramble on this.

SFO likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I'm not going to even try to go with the descriptions and all the stuff all the parts made by Toyota and the aftermarket will fit on the car If you've never seen all these parts on your car before the wreck happened there could be some discrepancies you may want to look online for real pictures or a video of a car before an accident on a lift what have you what I did to keep from buying Toyota expensive plastics high by aftermarket wheel well liners that are made of more of a PVC type material rather than a styrene type of easily breaking material like the factory liners and then I bought a sheet similar to the fender liners I just described flat of a PVC material It's about a little over an eighth of an inch thick or the metric equal thereof and then I took a piece of large if you will tracing paper and put it up against the car while it's up on a lift or on ramps and I traced out the size of the piece of plastic I could make in one fell swoop that would connect the colored front lower end of the bumper cover to the middle of the car and use just one piece of PVC that I could easily put in place with Toyota factory type fuzzy clips or whatever so quick removal is of the essence like ripping pull and then grab the connectors that hit the ground and be ready to put them back in when I'm finished that sort of thing NASCAR type action yeah it's hard for me to post pics here but it's easy to do some Chevy guys going to come along and tell me he's going to do it with the diamond plate aluminum marvelous I'll stick with the plastic