1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front wheel bearing change help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jessiejosco, Aug 6, 2015.

1. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am trying to change a front wheel bearing on my wife's 06 Prius. When we got this car I said I was not going to work on it, but I have not been too happy with the dealer service lately.

It had been going well up to the point that I tried to take out the ABS sensor. It's bolt just snapped right off with very little torque from the wrench. I suspect is was pretty much ready to snap off from the last time the dealer changed the wheel bearing. The sensor seems to be quite corroded onto the yolk/hub assembly, so I don't really want to take it out. I would rather not try to drill a steel bolt out of an aluminum yolk.

So my question is whether I actually need to take the sensor out? Is it only taken out so you can take the whole hub assembly off the car or will I damage it if I leave it in? I assume the tone ring is on the axle?
    Any other tips would be appreciated.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think you can. You just need to be careful when removing that shield from the back of the bearing. Shield is removed first then the bolts and the bearing. And before those you need to get the driveshaft out of the bearing which is probably easiest by disconnecting the ball joint from lower control arm.

#2 valde3, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the knuckle is that corroded maybe it's worth replacing ... less than $180 at online Toyota dealers.

-Chap