1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front wheel bearing replacement question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Mar 17, 2023.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So our 2007 with around 134K miles is making a sort of roaring noise from the front end which increases in volume with speed, but doesn't change pitch. Coasting to slow down a little turns off the ICE but doesn't affect the sound any. My son claims that he sometimes hears a sound like metal on a lathe, but the frequency is much too high for my old ears. After driving on the highway, exiting, and immediately checking the wheel temperatures at the center and on the lug nuts they are not found to be hot.

Anyway, seems like it is most likely one or both front wheel bearings, but they are not so bad as to be heating up. The rest of this is all hypothetical, but assuming that is all the problem is...

A set of Timken's would be $220 at RockAuto, and if the mechanic comes in below $600 it would be worth it to me not to have to bust my knuckles. Unfortunately I'm expecting a quote closer to $1000 (for both), and I just can't see that $780 (or more) on labor is a good use for the money. Or maybe it is, depends on how hard it will be to get the bearings out. These are the original bearings, the car has never had any part of the suspension changed. Between my son and I we have a lot of metric wrenches, torque wrenches, and breaker bars. Also impact sockets and wrenches. And a small sledge hammer. What we don't have is any specialized suspension tools. Ideally we would remove the bearing without having to fully remove the knuckle from the car, just remove the brake caliper and wheel speed sensor, and then the bearing.

1. Once the axle nut is removed, is it possible to push the CV axle out of the bearing without unbolting the knuckle? (Mostly to get it out of the way so it isn't damaged in what follows.)

There is a method of removing bearings where a lug nut is removed and a hardened bolt with a nut, washer, and usually some other type of spacer is used to push the bearing away from the knuckle. Sometimes people use 3 bolts, other times they use 1 and move it from position to position.

2. Can one of the studs be removed intact with the bearing in place, or would we have to cut the stud before removing it?

3. Is this method likely to work on this car? (That is, original bearing at this mileage.) The car may have seen some salt for one year in Utah, but the bottom is rust free.

4. If the bearing comes out, is it likely to tear the bearing in half, leaving the outer race in the knuckle?

If the bearing isn't likely to come out that way, we could obtain one of those slide hammer tools which bolt on to the lugs. The force is in the same direction as the preceding method, however this one also pulls on all the suspension components, and might bend something or throw off the alignment, so it is definitely a second choice.

5. Is this any more likely to work than the bolt?

6. If the bolt method left the race in the knuckle, and the CV can be pushed out of the way, is there some adapter which is just slightly smaller than the race which could screw onto the bottom of a slide hammer, so that the slide hammer could pull the race out?

7. Is there any other neat trick for removing the race from the knuckle if all of the above has failed, or is it just time to remove the whole knuckle (and take it to a machine shop, because I have no work bench or vise on which to pound.)

Lastly...

8. Given the age and mileage of the vehicle, would it be wiser just to remove the entire knuckle and take it to a machine shop to have the bearings removed?

9. If we do that, which part of the knuckle attachment system is going to be the hardest to take apart and reassemble, and what special tool would help with that?

I also looked into buying a replacement steering knuckle - to skip the whole "drive the bearing out" ordeal. The OEM part is $312 MSRP, but it can be had for $225.47 at Puente Hills Toyota (maybe less at some other dealer). Dorman makes one too, but theirs is $342 at AutoZone. Too bad it isn't compatible with the Prius C, as those are available for $52 or less at RockAuto.

2. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just replaced the front wheel bearings on my “05 a coupla months ago. We’re not talking here about just replacing the bearing. The bearing and hub are an assembled part that all comes together as 1 part. I’ve been working on cars since the ’70’s. This was not a job I wanted to do. I bought the parts and had a shop do it. The hub itself can kinda become welded to the axel making it a real drag getting off. Gear pullers don’t always get the job done. Think: lots of hammering.

You can get either MOOG or BECK/ARNLEY parts for half the price of the Timkens and be just as well off.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you don't have salt and rust in your locale, then removing the hub SHOULDN'T be a big deal. The ball joint unbolts from the control arm so getting the axle out of the way is easy. Pull the brakes, then remove the hub bolts from "inside" the knuckle.

At this point, us guys in the salt belt get out the specialized tools (and/or pull the knuckle off) and procede with nasty words. No rust?, then a couple "love taps" with a hammer should pop the hub bearing out.

Torque everything to spec going back together. I use antiseize where I want things to move and loctite where I don't.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wish I could post pictures easily I keep two aluminum hubs with new bearings in them sitting here on my shop shelf one set for a Gen 2 one set for a Gen 3 The bearings knock out with a light tap of a hammer they fall out and they're laying on the shop floor or in this case my carport floor and then I knock the other ones back in put on the new lower ball joint while I have the assembly and sit it on the shelf so when my car starts roaring and making a racket in the front end indicative of this all I have to do is pull the car in the carport jack up the front end I believe it's six bolts on ea side. That get removed I bring the lower ball joint attached to the hub drop it on the floor axle hanging in the car whatever now I replace the bearing bolt on the new lower ball joint which is attached to a plate that has three bolts that go to the control arm now I mount that assembly back to the car tap it all back together to the marks that I made and scribed on at disassembly that usually puts me within a 16th of an inch of my alignment certainly not going to cause any tire wear until I can get over to my alignment buddy who will be like geez Tom every time you bring the car over here it's in the green. And I explain well I just need you to check it because I just put in new hubs control arms bearings and what have you and he does in life is good. Even in Western Massachusetts was pretty much the same course when I live there I kept my vehicles hosed off after all salt events and what have you didn't make much of a difference but.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before going too far into the project, a pitchless scraping noise like that can often be something like a bent dust cover, or some object caught in a dust cover, scraping on a brake rotor. I once had an absolutely awful sound of that nature and never even found the object that was causing it, which must have fallen out as I was taking the wheel and rotor off, and there was no more noise after that.

6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everybody for the feedback.

It was the driver's side front bearing. But when push came to shove I wimped out and had the mechanic fix it, even though the labor was, as expected, quite expensive.

The rear hubs don't look nearly as complicated. Seems like the whole hub/bearing unit comes off with 4 bolts and is replaced, no messing about with the bearing directly.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the way the fronts are too. Four bolts and you swap the whole assembly. The bearings are inside it and you don't mess with them directly, at least as long as the assembly doesn't come apart during removal.

[​IMG]

Only real difference is the front hubs have drive axles poking through and the big nuts on the ends of those, and the rears don't. (And the rear hubs include the speed sensor, whereas the front speed sensors sit in the knuckles.)

And in either case, "comes off with 4 bolts" is the right description if you are not in the rust belt.

Whether front or rear, in the rust belt, the four bolts are just an appetizer.