1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front wheel bearing sound?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ruming, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Used 04 Prius 240,000km.

The sound is the same as 1:30~3:20 in this video: (34) BAD wheel bearing sounds & how to diagnose them | In depth - YouTube. Pitch changes with speed. It can be heard since as low as 20kph, most obvious 50~90kph, over 90kph the engine noise takes over. The sound comes from the front.

Had the tire rebalanced, the technician said they were off balance, but the sound didn't go away.

When the speed goes above 100kph, the vibration can be felt. (Does bad wheel bearing cause vibration?)

The sound started after I rotated front/back tires. Before the rotation there was nothing at all. Could tire rotation cause bad wheel bearing? That said I know it's at the right mileage for bad wheel bearing, just curious why it shows up right after the rotation.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I personally have found you can spend lots a time diagnosing as changing . Mileages are good indicator. 160 plus K miles I’d just change in my world it’s time anyway not hugely expensive. Personally I bought two alum arms from the fron of same car so I can have them loaded ready to slap on 44 min a side .. load units removed for other Prii onsite.. same song..

3. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I agree it's time to change. Where did you get the arms loaded?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    i just took off another car in jy i wanted extra set . to do this operation. many prii here