1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Wheel Bearing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 09Prius2, Nov 22, 2016.

1. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did do a topic search and the results were pretty scattered. I have some noise from the front driver wheel bearing and a mechanic verified it. I ordered a new one for $35.

My questions are, how long does this job take? I bought the complete hub assembly btw. I watched some videos on youtube but they were edited and condensed.

Are there any special tools or skills required? I didn't see anything specifically in the videos, however without doing the job I would have no way of knowing.

2. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need a 30mm 12 point socket to remove the axle nut and a large breaker bar to get that off. A complete metric socket set will do the rest. I haven't taken the hub off so I can't speak to that. I have read there is a fragile metal dust shield on the inside of the hub that is a bitch to remove. Look for suggestions on that.
    Search jaygroh and service manuals and you should find posted online. Will cover all details.
    You might need an alignment after.
    Hopefully you get decent life from the replacement. I priced them out at 80-150 not long ago so you are probably putting in an economy grade.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    P

3. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did it myself in about 3 hours,
    You need a hydraulic press to remove the hub from the frame and fit the new one in the frame.
    The rest is easy.
    IMG_3132.JPG IMG_3133.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3136.JPG
    This is the frame ^
    IMG_3137.JPG IMG_3139.JPG IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3138.JPG

This are some pictures from the job there may helpful for you. If you have questions, ask them.

#3 b100, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Purely my spidey sense, but is that too low?

And hats off to @b100 for the GARAGE tour!

5. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I briefly scanned the online docs and under "Axle" it shows the removal and install for the hub. doesn't appear that you need any special tools other than one they used to press out the ball joint ( I can't say it has to be removed...) and a second tool to press in the metallic dust seal. The second tool is most likely optional but I think the part is delicate. Didn't see anything about pressing out the hub from the knuckle, but if you had that tool would probably make separating the two a lot easier if there is corrosion.

When you factor in the cost of an alignment and that the new hub might only last a year or two, it might make sense to go up to a higher priced one with good reviews. All depends on your tolerance for doing this again soon.

6. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the advice and pictures. I don't know that an alignment would be absolutely necessary however I will take that into consideration.

Since I only paid $35 and having the labor done by a mechanic at work, it'll be a small gamble for $75 or so. If it fails again so be it, although I wasn't planning to keep the car long enough to be concerned about it.

7. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't do an alignment, tire wear is good. Steering is also good