1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front wheel catching on turns - feels dangerous

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JonHakim, Mar 12, 2022.

1. JonHakim

JonHakim New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's difficult to tell exactly what's going on, but it feels like my front left wheel is catching when I turn. In mid-turn I suddenly pitch forward sightly and there's a strain sound as if something is caught, then everything's normal again. It's happened while turning in both directions, I believe always when I've been going 30-40 mph. The first three times it was momentary, the fourth time it lasted at least half a second or longer.

The first two times were about two weeks apart, it was so abrupt and other things were going on that I thought I had just slipped slightly on the road at the apex of the turn, but it didn't feel right. The 3rd and 4th time just happened within 10 miles of driving and were much more obviously something internal rather than external. It definitely felt like something was impeding the turning of the wheel. My sensation was that it's the left front wheel but I can't be 100% sure on that every time.

Not long before this started happening I had a nail puncture in one tire repaired and bought two new tires. The shop moved my rear tires to the front and placed the new ones on back. It feels potentially meaningful, potentially coincidental that these issues started soon afterwards.

Other random theories:

1. Perhaps my parking brake is somehow catching briefly?
    2. Perhaps I'm having some failure in the drive system that is keeping one of my wheels from rotating on the turn the way it's supposed to?

Happy for any advice. Unfortunately this stuff always happens to me on Friday night or Saturday night and I need my car soon, but it doesn't feel entirely safe....

2. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could be tie rods, could be wheel bearing, or it could maybe be uneven wear between front-left and front-right tires. That uneven wear is the only likely situation I can think of where your recent work might play a role.

If you have a floor jack, lift up the front of the car then try to wobble your front tires. If it wobbles top-to-bottom when you grab it at 6 and 12 oclock AND side-to-side when you grab it at 3 and 9 oclock, that suggests failed wheel bearing. If it wobbles ONLY top to bottom, that suggests ball joint. If it wobbles ONLY 3 and 9, that suggests failed tie rods. It's pretty hard to diagnose tie rods further, and accurately, without a lift. It's also hard to tell the difference between bad wobble and simply turning the wheel until you have lots of experience.

Anyway, if you're not a DIYer, just take it to a shop, describe your symptoms, and ask them to inspect the steering & suspension.

Also, how many miles do you have? If you're at 250K+ with unknown service history, and intend to keep the vehicle for a long time, consider a full front suspension rebuild to return to like-new drive quality and to avoid needing a $200 alignment every year for the next five years as things wear out one-by-one. Control arms, ball joints, struts, sway bar end links, inner & outer tie rod ends, possibly also driveshafts and wheel bearings. That can be about $1000 in quality parts with careful aftermarket shopping (I think everyone should shop for their own car parts even if they pay mechanics to do all the work, it's a great and accessible way to learn more about your car)

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your in the wrong forum. Your in the G2 Forum 2004-2009.

In the meantime Take it to a tire shop they will give you a free front suspension inspection. It might be bad it might be not so bad but you need to find out as it sounds scary. Prius suspension is like any other car.