1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

front wheel drive - wheels spin

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by syscon, Nov 13, 2012.

1. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Does anybody knows if Prius V spin both front wheels or one only?
    I know Prius has a traction control so the computer will slow down the wheels till it finds traction, but does it do for both wheels or only one.

I have not had a chance to find a good patch of ice to park on and try to move it.
    And I'm not sure if parking on ice would be accurate testing, parking on rollers would (which I don't have).
    For example my old Volvo (rear whee drive) spin only one rear wheel (14in) and the other one is just following.
    Comparing to my Volvo, Pirus handling in deep slushy residential snow road is superior.

Econ likes this.
  2. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They have the tendency to pull from side to side. L then R. I don't have snow tires so this is with the all season tires from the factory. The snow conditions were adverse enough that only one time I had difficulty moving.( adverse enough that I was the only car on the road except the snow plows) That condition only lasted about four hours. The traction control does all the work for you.

3. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have standard stock tires as well, and noticed the same thing the car has tendency to pull from "side to side".
    Does it mean that if right wheel is slipping the left is taking over and vice versa? That is what I'm trying to find out.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius drives one front wheel at a time, powering the one with the least resistance to movement. This part is the same as any car other than a 4 wheel drive.

Traction control will apply brakes to a spinning wheel AND can reduce engine power to slow the spin. At that point the other front wheel become the one with the least resistance to movement causing the differential gearing to transfer power to it. As a result, a sensation of side to side power shifting is accurate.

With that said, snow/ice tires combined with cautious driving is still the best mediator when driving on slippery snow and ice. Personally I have driven standard tires in similar conditions in Oklahoma with no problems. I did not try to be 4 wheel drive high clearance truck. I stayed on plowed roads and just drove to my destination slowly.

Finally there is a way to turn off traction control but it's a series of actions documented elsewhere on the forum. However you would have to do it each time you used the car. I have not tried it.

syscon likes this.
  5. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, that would explain "side to side" sensation, but it must be something new at least to me.
    I've seen other Toyota cars, (relatively new front wheel drive) and their right front wheel is spinning on the intersection without slowing down. Definitely the computer is not cutting any power to any of the front wheel.

With this technology I don't need any 4x4 or winter tires :)

6. rcturner

rcturner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It drives the one with the most resistance to movement. That is what limits spinning.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Only because it increases braking on the the wheel with the least resistance which is spinning at the time. That action can change when both wheels are on slippery surfaces.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Until you try to stop. Friction is still your friend.

9. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The TCS on our car automatically switches back on every time the car is turned off. The next time the car starts, TCS is back up and running. I believe the reason for this is for manufacturers to protect themselves. TCS is basically safety equipment. If I turned TCS off and got into a wreck, I would under no circumstances mention to anyone that I had turned it off.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the Prius it is designed to protect the motors from over spinning and causing damage.

11. Mptom

Mptom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I hear squeaking sound after changing front break pads and rotors and also all four tyres. Dealer jacked up the car and while running showed me that only one tyre is turning. Recommends replacing differential assembly at $6500!!! Any thoughts??

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you probably just need to look over your brake work.

cnc97 and Air_Boss like this.
  13. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jack up the front end and try turning the wheels with the car in neutral. The wheel that won’t spin in neutral has a sticking caliper, bad brake hose, put together wrong, or something of that nature.