1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front wheel noise on 2015 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, Jan 31, 2022.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello,
    I’m trying to pinpoint the source of a noise coming from the front wheels. It’s a periodic low pitch hum that increases in rate with speed. I think it might even get louder when braking. After a brief test drive, a local mechanic thought either bad wheel bearings or warped rotors. Any other possibilities?
    Thanks!
    AJ

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Either way... If you live with it for a while it will likely get worse and be easy to diagnose.

elmofongo likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tires. try swapping front to back to see if the noise changes. how many miles on the car, and how many on the tires?
    does the sound change when turning? (cvj)

4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, if you're sure it's from the wheels, check bearings. Jack it up and then you can grab the tire and wriggle it and see if you get any play...both laterally and vertically. (It shouldn't move much at all.) Also spin them and see if you hear any noises....if rotor is bad should also make noises. While you down there, also check brake pads for wear...if one gets stuck it can warp the rotor making noises. My son-in-laws old Suzuki had a brake pad that had rusted onto the caliper...I've never seen that before!!

JohnnyPR and elmofongo like this.
  5. JohnnyPR

JohnnyPR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We'll try those tests when we start working on my uncle's new Prius project. It got intermittent noise from the front passenger side and he suspects is the rotor. Got to finish installing the skid plates and jeep bumpers on the Wrangler before we can clear the garage of the car.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some bad wheel bearings get loud before they get loose. Usually they are loudest from 35-55 mph after which road noise drowns them out. With the wheel off the ground, you might have to take the brake calipers off to hear a bad bearing. A good bearing will be quiet.

elmofongo likes this.