1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Windshield fogs in cold weather while not running | 2010 Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by st4nton, Jan 6, 2014.

1. st4nton

st4nton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is my first post in Prius Chat, so hopefully I'm doing this right...

My wife and I purchased a certified 2010 Prius IV with the solar panel up top (not sure if this is relevant) last February. We live in DC and this winter I've noticed a peculiar trend with the front windshield. When it's cold enough, the whole windshield fogs up on the inside while the car is sitting... In the rare occasions where we have snow and/or ice build up on the exterior, it's especially bad - you can see water beading up... I figured this might be due to snow/ice buildup on top of the vents, but the fact that it does this even when theres no moisture outside seems to indicate something else.

Tonight it's in the 20's, and really windy out, but dry.. My Prius is the only one on the block with a foggy windshield.

I've scoured the internets but haven't been able to figure out if there is a problem or if it's normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! in my experience, the windshield fogs up shortly after entering the car, especially if i'm singing. but i don't recall it ever fogging up just sitting there.

3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I noticed the windshield fogging up a lot recently. I have a gut feeling that dirt or anything thin film on the windows makes it fog up a lot easier - I cleaned the front inside glass last weekend and the fogging doesn't seem to be as bad but is still present

I'm not some science guru but fogging up of glass, wether it is your home windows or car windows is caused by moist air touching a cold pane of glass and condensing on it. Since you can't stop breathing, the best thing to do is dehumidify the car with the A/C function OR warm up the cabin with your hvac system which should bring up the temperature of the windows so that dewpoint cannot be reached as easily on the glass and cause fogging.

I think rain-x makes a treatment to prevent or minimize fogging of the windows. I have yet to try the treatment but its cheap - 6$ a bottle at most.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not having any more problem with this car than my past cars, all of which have needed some active moisture control efforts in certain weather.

Besides human respiration, do you have other sources of moisture inside the car? Wet shoes / floor mats / clothing / sports gear / towels? If so, these should be removed and dried outside the car.

How are you using the climate control? Even with just human respiration, moisture can build up inside if the climate control is always set to recirculate, not adequately flushing the moisture released from occupant's lungs and skin. This may not be a problem most of the time, then suddenly cause inside fogging in just certain conditions.

5. st4nton

st4nton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for all of the replies... I'm happy to report that I think I've figured it out.

I took a quick look inside the car for moisture, when I lifted up the mats in the front, I found a lot! I wash and detail quite often and must have put the mats back in before they were dry the last couple of times, thus introducing moisture into the cabin.

See attached pictures.

Lesson learned! Hopefully once I dry it all out this won't happen anymore.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

fuzzy1 likes this.
  6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had some water in my driver side Husky liner leftover from snow/slush/rain mix from the last couple of days.
    Overnight it dropped from 39F to 7F and the inside of my windshield was completely frozen up when I got in the PIP this morning. Took almost 30 min on full defrost with the ICE running to completely remove all the ice from it...

7. st4nton

st4nton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That was the case this morning.. This started as a fog issue, but as the weather got much colder this week, it started to freeze. This morning when I went to my car the front back and sunroof were all completely frozen on the inside, with nothing outside.

photo 1-1.JPG photo 2-1.JPG photo 3-1.JPG

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that's pretty much how mine looked this morning.
    I'll have to be more attentive to mind the floor mats...

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Isopropyl alcohol 70%, (aka rubbing alcohol,) does wonders on my son's glasses....

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bit of a passed thread.
    But in my experience this 1st winter with my standard Prius I would say that I've discovered that the windows do have a tendency to rapidly fog up.

There are things I've always done with all my vehicles to attempt to minimize this reality. The most common being keeping the inside of the windshield as clean/dry as possible. And of course keeping moisture out of the vehicle as much as possible.

But I would say, The Prius just has a tendency to fog up rapidly. Then I would go further and say the defroster for front window....is passable...mediocre at best. If it's a winter evening or night and you are depending solely on the front window defroster to clear the fog off the window...you're in for a long wait.

I've taken to carrying something I picked up at the dollar tree in my glove compartment. Basically, I think it was made to clean dishes...but it's just a thin micro-fiber covered bit of sponge. It's thin, has grooves and can be folded. I just keep it in the glove compartment and if I notice the front window significantly fogged, I wipe it all down first. This really assists the defrost. The difference between waiting 3 minutes or more...or 1 minute or less.

Also this is just my experience. But while I like Rain-X products...I use it on the front window and I use Rain-X windshield wiper fluid, I've tried Fog-X and wasn't impressed.
    Yeah, it would kind of keep the windows from fogging up...but for the life of me I couldn't really apply it without making it streak.
    This was several years ago, perhaps they have improved the formula?

ny_rob likes this.
  11. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I sat in my best buddies' LEXUS IS350 on the weekend with 3 other ppl inside and the whole car fogged like crazy.

Perhaps newer cars have this problem. My older cars - 1989 civic and 1986 corolla never never had fogging this bad :)

12. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of my friends swears that putting Damp Rid in the car during the winter does wonders. The only time I have that problem is when I have the dogs in the car. I don't know what it is about their breath, but they do a great job fogging up the windows! Glad you figured out the cause and that it wasn't something more serious!

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd call the Prius front defroster rather pathetic!
    The problem is the defrost vents seem to restrict the airflow to the windshield. The fan seems to be working pretty hard- but there's just not a lot of volume of air hitting the windshield. Put your hand up there and check it yourself... there's hardly anything coming out.
    If I put the defroster on full in my 2003 CRV it will literally blow a hat off the dashboard- the Prius defroster can hardly move a feather, even on full!

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well actually...so would I. I was trying to be generous in describing it as mediocre...

But I can't really remember a vehicle that I thought the defroster was worse.

But it can be compensated for...with just a minimal adjustment. I would say it is pathetic...but...hey no vehicle is perfect.

15. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I agree, the front defroster blower part is a joke. Today I spent 15 minutes trying to defog the frigging glass......:cautious:

16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A VW Bug with rusted out heater boxes may be slightly worse than the gen III Prius...

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually park with the front of the car facing the sunrise now- it really helps. This morning when I was ready to leave for work at 8am the sun had melted the ice and the windshield was just wet.

18. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One day last fall I had accidentally left the windows slightly cracked open over night. Of course it rained that night! The following morning I went to work (28 mile commute) and some of the windshield (near the top and near the rear view mirror) still had condensation on it after 40 min of full defroster action!

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been doing this with nonhybrids for decades.

20. Bob G IA

Bob G IA Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It helps to put the sun visors down. They block the respiration a little and help keep the heat from the defroster closer to the windshield. You also don't notice the frost as much since most of it is behind the sun visor. I did use the Fog X last fall. It does a good job keeping the moisture on the windshield from "looking" like fog, but once the moisture freezes...... well frost is frost.