1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front windshield prone to pitting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mmichaell, May 4, 2010.

1. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone notice this - after about 5,500 miles, I've noticed about 2 or so "pits" in my windshield - all relatively small, around 1-2mm wide, and probably not too deep. Probably from a rock or something hitting it. I suppose this might be purposeful that the windshield is so "soft" (for a lack of a better term), perhaps for accident safety in case your head goes through it.

But has anyone else noticed this? My previous car ('99 Honda Civic) and '06 Acura TSX doesn't have anything like this at all, and have been driving them for many years. I'll re-check the Acura however to verify.

2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    15k on mine, many highway miles, no pits.

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    10K miles on mine, no issues. In fact, had more issues on previous several cars (all German).

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, the reality for me is I own a new Honda Fit. But it has a very Prius like front windshield. Low, huge and aerodynamically angled. In comparison to other vehicles I have owned I have already noticed an annoying propensity for the windshield to attract rocks and debris that can cause damage. I already have a few very small strikes...not bad enough yet..but annoying.

I think it has to do with the size and aerodynamic angling of the windshield. I don't really like the "looks" of a bug shield, but neither do I want premature windshield replacement. If I continue to take hits? I'm thinking of investigating windshield applications that are suppose to help minimize damage. I've googled and there are a few.

But IMO....it's NOT a Prius in my case, BUT I think the large aerodynamic windshields are more vulnerable to taking hits than upright windshields of older cars. It might tie into the entire aerodynamic design.

I think the rocks that are reaching the windshield of my Honda Fit, are the same rocks that used to hit the front of my Old Accord. So 6 of one, half dozen of the other, I think I can find a way to compromise and minimize damage....I REALLY avoid following trucks....