1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Frozen Washer Fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by scottwyden, Dec 30, 2009.

1. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even with my remote start the washer fluid stays frozen for a LONG time every morning. It is getting really annoying.. Does anyone know if they make fluid that doesn't freeze? Or if there is an easy solution to the problem

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Scott, I usually use the de-icer washer fluid in the winter time. It has a much lower freezing temperature and also helps with frost on the windshield in the mornings. You could try that and see how it works. I've had issues in several cars with the washer fluid freezing on really cold nights - which we've had a lot of lately! Another nice thing about the De-Icer washer fluid, is that it doesn't freeze right away on the windshield when you're driving.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can purchase methanol-based windshield washer fluid in cold areas. For example, last week I paid $1.89 for a gallon of fluid at Kragen's (a discount auto parts store) in south Lake Tahoe, CA.

4. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll stop by Pep Boys tonight and hope that they have it in stock. Thanks guys!

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live in Cleveland OH. During the winter months the only windshield wiper fluid you can buy has a very low freezing point. Most gas station leave it out on a pallet outside all winter and it never freezes.

I predict the factory wiper fluid is very close to pure water. That is why it’s freezing.

6. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My factory fluid ran out after a month (I bought the car in August).. i've got some walmart fluid in there right now

7. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The fluid in my new 2010 Sienna minivan also froze during the first cold spell this season (at least the fluid in the nozzles froze).

It must be some cheap blue fluid with very little methanol that Toyota is shipping in their vehicles this year. After all, somebody might take a mind to drinking it, and if there was actually anything dangerous in the washer fluid, Toyota could be held liable! ;)

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those of us who experience hard winters never dilute washer fluid with water. We always use the stuff in the bottle 100% pure.

Living in Minnesota, I've always wondered how owners less-north deal with seasonal change. Do they drain/flush their diluted fluid before the cold each year or risk it freezing?

9. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use the anti freeze type fluid year round.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rain-X De-Icer fluid. If it runs out in warm weather, I'll switch to the Rain-X De-bug fluid. If it hasn't run out before winter, I'll just start adding the De-Icer as I go along.

1 person likes this.
  11. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Canadian Tire -40 washer fluid won't freeze at -40, but it will freeze when it is sprayed on the windshield at -35 at 100km/hr, freeze on the windshield. At that speed and temp, the ice sublimates (evaporates) quite quickly however.

12. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In Minnesota, you can buy 2 types:
    25 below rated for 1.89ish
    and 34 below for 2.89 ish

The 34 below is worth it, as the alcohol in both "boils" off some, especially at the nozzles, and they plug. the better stuff has more alcohol, and therefore works better.

13. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed, Buy the better stuff it's worth the loose change difference and I even add Prestone Clear Deicer additive to the famous -40 Deg Blue stuff as a added precaution.

It has not let me down yet...

14. KJF

KJF Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do any of these fluids hurt the paint?

15. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am frankly shocked that the factory fluid freezes. Can't they spend a few bucks to provide some antifreeze.

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Rain-X makes one for the summer that is a bug wash solution and one for now that is a de-icer one. Prestone also makes both. I like the Prestone for winter with the de-icer and the Rain-X bug wash one for the summer.

17. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine froze yesterday, too. But I found that it was just freezing over the nozzle opening. I guess since they are tucked under the hood, there's no wind to blow the "dribble" off.

I've filled mine a couple times already with the blue stuff form Wal-Mart, looks like I gotta go to the Prestone stuff for winter

18. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I forgot to mention that Prestone also sells just an additive that you add to regular cheap 99 cent blue washer fluid. One additive is the bug remover that is citrus scented and the other is the deicing stuff with 'dirt blocker' in it. All of these products are carried at Walmart.

1 person likes this.
  19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Or you can find isopropyl alcohol at a hardware or paint store and add some of that.
    None of these will hurt paint per se, but if used constantly they will "dry" the paint (remove water molecules in the paint matrix) and remove any wax treatment from painted surfaces.

My experience is -any- concentration of alcohol and water except pure alcohol will freeze/smear on the windshield if it's cold enough so be prepared for that. It will sublimate away rather quickly though. If you can wait until the windshield heats up a bit (use the front defroster to warm it) the time of reduction of vision will be much shorter. Get in the habit of cleaning the windshield when you stop. Then you won't need to use the washer fluid until the car gets a little warm.

Windshield washer antifreeze is made of alcohol, either methyl or isopropyl, the latter being better, a drop of detergent sometimes, water, and dye. The more alcohol in it the lower the freeze rating. You can add car wash concentrate to it (just a few drops will do), but don't add dish detergent or laundry detergent. It's too aggressive and will eventually damage the paint and perhaps the rubber wiper blades and window seals.

If your bottle of fluid in the car is frozen you can add some of the above alcohol to it and it will usually thaw overnight.

DO NOT try to use engine antifreeze. It will make a mess on your windshield.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have never experienced any problem. You have to be careful sometimes with the Windshield Glass Srays that MELT the snow...As long as your careful you should be good.

But I always read the instructions to ensure that it clearly states will not damage car finish/paint.

1 person likes this.