1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Frustrated with the dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dravor, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So let me preface this thread by saying that up to this point I've done most of the maintenance on my 2013 Prius myself or taking it to a small shop that I usually go to.

My Prius is a 2013 Prius 4 with 102,000 miles on it. I just put new tires on it 3 days ago.

I dropped it off to get a Virginia state inspection, get an oil change, and some needed tsb's. Typically I would have done my state inspection elsewhere as well as the oil change but they had a coupon up for $9.95 and I needed to get to tsb flashed.

Within a couple hours I received a call and the service manager started going through the list of things that I needed. The first thing he mentions is that I needed a new air filter, which I found kind of funny considering I have a k&n air filter that I just serviced within 3 months. Next he told me that I should get a tire rotation, which is comical considering you can still see the new marks on the tires because they have less than 30 miles on them. He the continued with front and back brake bads, rotors turned, cabin air filter, brake fluid flush, coolant flush.

I'm attaching a link to what was quoted and would love some insights.

If I am reading this right the break pads for the front would be $392.98 and the turning of the rotors $340?

And is it standard to try and charge for the coolant service and flush?

I'll be taking it to my normal shop, but thought this is just outrageous.

To make matters worse even though their dealership has a $9.95 offer for an oil change on their website my service manager try to charge me the standard 69.95. when I pointed out the coupon he seemed almost frustrated that they were giving away the oil change for such a low cost.

Here is what was written up:

bisco likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This sort of treatment is one of the reasons why, when I bought a new replacement for my then-gf's continually very troublesome used car, I also made her quit getting service and repairs at whatever place had the best coupon that week, and stick with a single dependable shop.

That was over 30 years ago. She is now my spouse, that car is still her daily driver, and she has had less car trouble in that 30 years than she had in the prior 3 years. Though we did change shops half way through.

Shops handing out those coupons, simply cannot keep the doors open at those prices, let alone pay the mortgages on their vacation homes and boats. They must make up for it by talking you into many services you don't need. If you don't bite, then don't expect acceptable service on the coupon item either, because they simply can't afford to spend the time to do it right.

Go back to your usual shop.

mikey_t likes this.
  3. thetourman

thetourman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had trouble at several dealerships. Toyota needs to do a better job policing this kind of thing.

I was told I needed new wipers and they just happened to have them on sale. I had replaced the wipers prior to taking it to the dealer. Later I heard them tell another customer they needed new wipers. Wipers must have been an up-sale item that month.

On another visit I was told I needed a new cabin air filter. I was even shown a filthy cabin air filter. I asked to see the side of the filter and said I just replaced my engine and cabin air filter. I also mark mine on the side with the date and my initials. The one I was shown did not have these markings. I was told they must have grabbed the wrong filter.

The last thing was being told that my car was leaking fluid and they could fix it for $300.00. I asked to see the car as I did not have any fluids on my garage floor and all my fluids were at the proper level. The service tech said I was not allowed in the service area, but he would bring the car up. He came back without my car. I was told they made a mistake on cars. They just happened to have another ten-year-old white Prius level 2 in the shop at the same time and that was the one with the issues. Possible yes. probable ...?

I used to have a dealership and local mechanic that I trusted. Now that we have moved, I am having trouble finding either.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealerships are independently owned businesses, Toyota has very limited power over them. In a couple regions, the dealerships don't even get their cars directly from Toyota, but instead from an independent distributor with a regional monopoly, such as Gulf States Toyota or Southeast Toyota.

thetourman likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No you were not reading this right. First its "brake pads" not "break pads". You don't want them broken or you will pay twice.

One is aftermarket front brake pads and machined rotors, the other is "oem" front pads and machined rotors. Your choice.

No need to get upset with them. They are on commission and offering you services. You are smart enough to say no. You should just smile knowingly and get your $9.95 oil change. Undoubtedly with the cheapest dinosaur oil out of their 55 gallon drum. Ten to one if you mark the oil filter you will still have it when you leave since they often just suck the oil out from the dipstick.

100,000 miles is the standard coolant service interval and some think a brake fluid change could prolong the brake booster life.

892D622B-6C8A-4EC8-8AC1-9E81A62EF7B8.jpeg

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep I think we've all experienced this. You'd actually be surprised by the number of folks who will say, "Sure, fix all that!" when they are given the list! YIKES! But for many their cars go for years neglected with old fluids tearing stuff apart and, in the end, they get estimates for many thousands of dollars to just keep it operational...so there's that.
    But nobody knows or love your vehicles like you so it's best to do as much yourself as you are able. When in doubt, say nope and then ask someone who knows cars more than you to have a look.
    We had a kid at work, years ago, who had bought a new Dodge truck but didn't know anything about maintenance. He heard us talking about our weekend plans and mine was an oil and oil filter change in my car. He asked why I was doing that so I told him it was due, every 6-months or 5,000 miles...whichever come first. He thought about for a few minutes and then asked what would happen if it was never done. He had over 30,000 miles on his truck and he'd, only, added oil if it was low. (So, at least, he did that.) We taught him how to change the oil (it was some nasty oil) and a few months later the truck was running so bad he got rid of it.
    We really need to teach young folks how to take care of their vehicles...it's the 2nd largest expense most of us have in our lifetimes, behind a home mortgage!

ASRDogman likes this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a lose leader.... It's meants to get in into the shop. It worked.
    Sadly, most people will pay for the other stuff. NOT all shops will rip you off.
    Not all mechanics will rip you off, even if the shop will.

Whenever I did an oil change, or any other service on a car, I would check the car over
    and make a note of any potental problems.
    Sometimes the service writer would bring the customer back, insurance allows this, so we
    could show them. Sometimes they would do it, sometimes not. 98% of the time when they
    came back they would ask for me because they felt that I was not trying to steal from them.

I never made them feel they HAD to do it. The choice was completely up to them.

If possible, try to find a position outside of the bay where you can watch them work on your car.
    And "IF" you decide to do a coupon thing, just tell the service writer you ONLY want the oil change.
    You don't need anything else and the tech doesn't need to waste his time looking at anything else.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wallet flush/boat payment

9. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know it's brake, but I was doing voice to text, and couldn't edit the post after posting.

Makes more sense after seeing the difference in the options.

But again, why would a service writer suggest a tire rotation, on brand new tires? Just makes it sound like he's going off what the computer suggests based on the work I've had done there, not based on what my car shows.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're on to something...

11. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    it may be the area I'm in where there's a lot of $. People tend to just say fine do it. Bothers me though he suggested tire rotation on bra d new tires.

ASRDogman likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it should bother everyone, but some people just shrug their shoulders and move on

13. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, agreed. What's odd too is they did my VA Safety Inspection and I passed. I would expect more of a hey 3mm of pad passes state but you are at 4mm and need to think about brakes.

It was literally so the tech says you need new brakes and machined rotors. Before mentioning I passed state, no mention the brake pads are getting low, etc.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a million threads here just like yours. most dealerships are dishonest, or at best unethical.

i have heard there are a few unicorns though...

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do you really think there is a difference between the car salesman in the showroom and the service advisor next to the drive through? No. Both are your instant best friend, both barely make a living, both are pressured by management to meet their goals, both are on commission, both will tell you anything you want to hear. But they are not your friend, they need sales to make a living and meet their goals and both will later talk about the customers who bought everything they offered.

You have to know their game, you need to know your factory maintenance schedule and you have to be able to resolve the differences.

You do need a coolant service and the brakes are close to the limit. Brake fluid is not on the schedule and oil changes should be done twice as often as they recommend with quality oils.

#15 rjparker, Feb 19, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    ColoradoBoo and mikey_t like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota USA has the strangest way of expressing when the engine and inverter coolant should be changed. The circled text plainly states to change both. But: if you go to the footnote #3, you find this:

upload_2022-2-20_8-27-38.png

Attached is a spreadsheet summary of the US schedule I made, mainly out of frustration with the event-by-event presentation, and the aforementioned footnotes.

Attached Files:

17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am surprised Sheet 2 is not the Canadian schedule and Sheet 3 the Mendel with Egr and Brake Fluid services.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    just trying to summarize what’s in the official US schedule. FWIW: EGR cleanout could follow the engine coolant interval.

I should have added: Toyota Canada says do both coolant changes at 10 years or 160k kms )100k miles), whichever comes first