1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yesterday, I was getting low on gas and decided to try a bottle of Gumout All-in-One + Ethanol treatment with P.E.A. before filling up with Exxon Synergy gas. I have 4,6XX miles and have only used Shell, BP, and Exxon.

I haven't driven far on the tank yet, just 4 miles or so. Reading over the bottle, in the moment it seemed like a good decision. Reading more about it, it seems people have had mixed results. Some great, some not-so-great.

Then again, usually people are more vocal about something they're not happy with versus something that works out well for them. Anyway, the reviews on Amazon were all great which is another reason why I bought it.

It says it's catalytic converter safe, etc. Which means any carbon it's cleaning, if any, hopefully is disolved instead of getting stuck in the catalytic converter.

But I'll update with the results! Probably won't buy it again, it was just a spur of the moment kind of thing. Hopefully my baby is okay too. ❤️

IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG

#1 That_Prius_Car, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It will make your car lighter by the amount of money you wasted on it.

RCO, Frederickdawg, EdG and 5 others like this.
  3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't think any modern car (built in the last 20 years) needs anything like it.
    As long as you fuel up with E10 (no more than 10% ethanol) and according to the octane number provided in the user's manual, no modern car needs anything.
    There are plenty Prius and many other cars that drive thousands of miles without any addictive and without any fuel quality related problem.

Rggaebssplyr, Tande, RCO and 3 others like this.
  4. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_1830.JPG

Thanks got your feedback! I see that now. I do try and take care of my car as best as I can, always looking out for it. Always looking for potholes, parking at the end of parking lots, I had the 3M clear bra installed...

My heart was in the right place! Haha.

Tande, RCO and 'LectroFuel like this.
  5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't think any modern car (built in the last 20 years) needs anything like it.
    As long as you fuel up with E10 (no more than 10% ethanol) and according to the octane number provided in the user's manual, no modern car needs anything.
    There are plenty Prius and many other cars that drive thousands of miles without any addictive and without any fuel quality related problem.

alanclarkeau and That_Prius_Car like this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree - it's something like what we put into my Dad's car with 250,000km on the suggestion of his mechanic to see if it would "possibly help clean the fuel injectors". Yes, it did help, but only a little.

I certainly wouldn't bother with a car with less than 100,000km - but I usually sell my cars before then anyway.

Rggaebssplyr likes this.
  7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well yes and no. An occasional dose of injector cleaner is not a bad thing. But if you think "cleaning out the carbon" is in any way beneficial you are just fooling yourself; if the product even accomplishes that which is unlikely.

You also need to be careful to follow the dosing instructions on the bottle.
    If the whole bottle is designed to treat 25 gallons of gas and your tank only holds 10........putting in a whole bottle may NOT be a good thing.

RCO likes this.
  8. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, that was a waste of money on a new car.

An injector cleaner can actually be helpful after quite a few years, especially if you're using lower quality fuel that doesn't have much in the way of detergents anyway, but no Gen 4 is old enough that an injector cleaner is called for.

Rggaebssplyr, Tande and RCO like this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all....if you use top tier gas they're already fortified with additives.....supposedly, and if you live where they sell E10 then you're already using one of the better gummy-outtie chemicals in your gas, and they add it at "no additional cost:"
    Ethanol!

B. If you have less than 5,000 on the car then you haven't driven it nearly enough to build up the carbon, sludge, varnish, goo that you're trying to eliminate, so adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank will make it "Drive Like New!"
    Er....but that's only because it was already new to start with.

3. If it runs good, it is good.
    Priuses get good mileage. That's sort of the whole point.
    If this stuff impacted mileage in any measurable way, then not only its use would be mandated by dot.gov., but OEMs would be buying it by the barrel to increase their CAFE numbers.
    Come to think of it......I wonder if Vee-Dubbaya is using it????
    If it prevented deposits in any measurable way, then manufacturers would have shelves lined with it and they would add it to the schedule of maintenance.
    If it were really effective then instead of urging you to use it every 3,000 miles, they would be warning you to only use it every 10,000 miles or you'll wreck your cat.

Your G4 runs good because it is good, and Toyota cares so much about your car's longevity and their build reputation that they mention using preventative fuel maintenance additives (i.e. Snake-oil) absolutely NOWHERE in the owner's manual that nobody ever reads.
    Of course, that's speculative because......................................(wait for it!)...............................I haven't read the manual either! :D

Good Luck with the C-type!
    Start saving for the Prime that, according to your signature, is only a few months away now.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To be fair, I put in a bottle of Techron every 100,000 miles

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Use top tier gas.

12. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Bad idea. Your motor probably isn't even broken in yet and you are already adding additives to the fuel. Like others have said, if you are only using top tier gas, it will be a real long time before you have to add anything to the fuel to help clean out carbon or the injectors.

Doug McC and RCO like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    impetuous, or impulsive?:p

RCO likes this.
  14. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What keeps the EGR system clean? I hear that plugs up. Also, carbon buildup on the throttle plate?

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    "Carbon" isn't the major culprit.......despite the marketing hype.

Nothing keeps the EGR system clean. That's why it needs some attention periodically.
    And raw fuel never touches it so additives don't help.

With fuel injection, only AIR passes the throttle plate so nothing to deposit carbon there AND no fuel additive will touch it either.
    That too needs periodic manual cleaning.

16. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Note that in an Atkinson cycle engine, there's some reversion of intake charge, which could result in fuel and recirculated exhaust gases hitting the throttle plate. (AFAIK, in a 4 or more-cylinder, that should be minimized - there's always another cylinder ready to accept the pushed out charge - but...)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know, in the USA, the only additive that might make sense on a new car would be some Techron/detergent as per Jimbo, TopTierGas.com gaso stations probably add enough detergent, but if you're going to smaller brands, it might make sense to add some Techron once in a while.

I do not add gaso additives, ever. But I do live in an EPA RFG area which tends to be cleaner blend and I use TopTierGas. If my engine started struggling in old age, sure I might play around then.

For my lawn mower container, I do add Stabil if I get around to it.

RCO, Merkey and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So why then does the throttle plate need cleaning? What gets on it that needs to be cleaned off?

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dirt.
    After you suck a few million cubic feet of air through there, some dust gets past the air filter.

Rggaebssplyr, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  20. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I personally stay out of ethanol mix....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Merged. Use multi quote

One of the addatives used by many Dealers.....good staff

Merged. Use multi quote

Tune up on time....good combustion is result of clean EGR and happy emission parts.....

Merged. Use multi quote

Crank case recovery system

Merged. Use multi quote

Using top tier gasoline you mentioned especially Shell Nitrogen enriched premium fuel will do this without ever needed addative
    If you want to use one....
    Use Techron addative