1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel cap cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Amerune, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Amerune

Amerune New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, Buffalo resident here. With our frigid weather this year especially, I have twice had the problem of being unable to get the fuel cap cover to pop open when I pull on the release to the left of the driver's seat, and I cannot pry it open for love nor money. Took it to the dealership but the weather was warmer that day and the problem couldn't be seen. Thanks to anyone with suggestions/remedies.

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I am no freezing cold expert...
    but I speculate the issue is ice build-up.
    Either the door is frozen shut to the body or the cable mechanism is frozen tight.
    Preventively, I would lubricate the latch and cable (oil and/or grease) in an attempt to prevent water intrusion into the cable or ice build-up on the latch release mechanisms.
    If the door is not opening, and you can hear the latch mechanism releasing, try pouring hot water over the door, to break the ice build-up seal.
    Good luck.

Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is one of the VERY limited situations where spraying the mechanism with original WD 40 might be a good idea.
    It never dries completely and should help prevent water from accumulating around the moving parts.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Careful with that, may “stress” paint. A cup of tea purchased from gas station store and allowed would be short of boiling point and thus safer. Hair dryer or heat gun safer, but obviously not an option at gas station. Mini torch, not held too close?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found those situations especially annoying in my Gen 1, where the filler door was on the right rear quarter, about as far as possible from the release lever by the driver's door.

The procedure I developed was to reach into my wallet and take out a plastic card. Possibly a credit card, or something of lower value, like a library card or membership card for some organizations, as long as it's the same kind of springy plastic card.

I would walk around to the filler door, bend the card a little and shove it in the gap around one of the filler door corners. Then I would walk back to the driver's door and pull the release lever. At the sound of the card dropping on the pavement, I would walk back around, pick up the card, put it back in my wallet, and fill the tank.

Mendel Leisk likes this.