1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fuel cell displays

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mohammed khan, Mar 31, 2016.

1. mohammed khan

mohammed khan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hi since i am new to the prius 2010 that i bought recently i am asking these small questions. i filled up last week and i noticed that as soon as a single cell display in the fuel display part has some empty section like 3/4 fuel(single cell) the next day or after that that whole cell disappears without it showing that siingle cell as being empty. is this normal.

my next question is the estimated distance left to travel with the fuel in the car how accurate is this. i mean can i keep going on by referring to this figure.

my 3rd question is around which fuel cell when displayed is it important and recommended to fill up gas again, with one cell remaining or two etc.

thanks

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    i filled up last week and i noticed that as soon as a single cell display in the fuel display part has some empty section like 3/4 fuel(single cell) the next day or after that that whole cell disappears without it showing that siingle cell as being empty. is this normal.

Our 2010 Prius fills up all 10 bars. The first one does not go out until ~50-60 miles (~80-100 km.) It is fairly linear until about half way and then it drops rapidly. When the last bar begins flashing and a 'beep', there is about 2.1 gallons (~7.9 l) remaining. I typically reset the "B" trip meter and calculate how much fuel is burned out of the 2.1 gal remaining (in the USA we use SAE units of miles and gallons.)

my next question is the estimated distance left to travel with the fuel in the car how accurate is this. i mean can i keep going on by referring to this figure.

It is fairly conservative so it should be safe until the distance reaches 0. However, I use the "B trip meter" approach because testing of our 2010 Prius shows it is reliable.

my 3rd question is around which fuel cell when displayed is it important and recommended to fill up gas again, with one cell remaining or two etc.

It depends upon circumstance and access to gasoline. I typically drive ~30 miles (~50 km) each day so when "flash" begins, I typically look to fill up again in the next three days but I'm a fairly efficient driver and use the "B trip meter" technique. So I'll combine going for groceries with a visit to a low-price, gas station.

Understand everyone has a different set of driving challenges and fuel consumption. As a general rule of thumb, the first operation, the 'cold start' is when the car is least efficient and should be driven gently for the first 1-2 miles (1.5-3 km). Thereafter, drive it normally for the rest of the day. When you park, it takes about 3-4 hours for the engine to cool enough to have to pay the 'cold start' fuel penalty again.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

mohammed khan likes this.
  3. trip1027

trip1027 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My fuels her 2011 up at the 2nd bar I generally go 80 miles to 120 miles after it says zero miles remaining...

SM-N920V ?

mohammed khan likes this.