1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Fuel Cell Vehicles over take Battery Vehicles in 2040

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 17, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Posted more for amusement, I am reminded of the old saying,"Fusion is the power source of the future and it always will be." Ever since the Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles was killed in 2001, fuel cells have been advocated as the replacement, 17 years ago. So here comes this gem:
    DOE analysis suggests rapid convergence of FCEV and BEV TCOs; FCEVs less expensive for majority of LDV fleet by 2040; mass compounding - Green Car Congress

In 2020, battery-electric vehicles will be a cheaper vehicle option than fuel cell electric vehicles for the majority of the light duty fleet (79-97%), according to a new study by a team at the US Department of Energy (DOE) Fuel Cell Technologies Office (FCTO). However, the cost of the two powertrains will converge quickly, and by 2040, FCEVs will be less expensive than BEVs per mile in approximately 71-88% of the LDV fleet, according to the analysis. Additionally, FCEVs will offer notable cost advantages within larger vehicle size classes and for long distances.
    . . .

As long as high pressure hydrogen gas is the fuel, the inefficiencies makes fuel cells a science fair.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no talk of refueling infrastructure?

Ashlem, HPrimeAdvanced and RCO like this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    IMHO, if the refueling infrastructure magically appeared tomorrow, hydrogen would still be too expensive to drive. The source, natural gas and steam, have to be bought and converted into H{2}. Then compressed and run through the fuel cell. This makes it more expensive than gasoline.

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced and RCO like this.
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the public information (didn't go behind the pay wall), the assumption is batteries will be more expensive than they are today for tesla is 2040 (this could be true, unless they figure out how to use less cobalt and other expensive materials), but massive abounts of hydrogen will be being sold for $2/kg. They also assume because of these economics somehow infrastructure will be built for hydrogen. To me the first assumption is not bad, but of course we could be cobalt free or even be on a solid state sodium battery by 2040.

The second 2 assumptions just seem really bad given the track record. 2040 is only 22 years away. To get to $2/kg at the pump ($1/kg is simply needed for industrial production if natural gas prices don't go up) seems a fantasy. They are talking about perhaps bringing the price down from over $15/kg today to $7 in highly subsidized stations. How do you build pipelines or truck the hydrogen, build and maintain stations, use electricity to pump it up to 10,000+ psi, collect money, etc for only $1? It would require some bold technical innovations. They do have other projections for higher cost hydrogen, but as price goes up, the volume per station necessarily goes down, and it takes a even bigger government subsidy to build and maintain them.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...well, 2040, maybe still be way away in to the future.

FCEV I don't think would give us the needed range as we see in some BEVs. Take for instance, model 3, three hundred and something.... battery range.

It appears to me, that for the hydrogen vehicles, they'd be combining both hydrogen and electric powered applications altogether. That might shoot the price of such vehicles.

This innovation may go the way of CNG powered vehicles. Expensive, and all that.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At one time there was a requirement that government funded papers be made available to citizens so:
    Fuel Cell Technologies Office | Department of Energy

Secretary Perry Drives a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car
    To commemorate National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day, Secretary Rick Perry drove one of the world's first commercial fuel cell electric vehicles at Department of Energy headquarters in Washington, D.C.
    Bob Wilson

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know these guys have got good marketing gimmicks:D

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    I reread the review and comments to see if there was something I missed. The paper claims the rate of increased battery capacity for longer range caused a reduction vehicle efficiency due to the larger battery mass. So how does the Tesla, Bolt, and Hyundai do:
    model range kWh/100 mi
    1 2018 Model X P100D 289 mi 40 kWh/100 mi
    2 2018 Model X 100D 295 mi 39 kWh/100 mi
    3 2018 Model S 100D 335 mi 33 kWh/100 mi
    4 2018 Chevy Bolt 238 mi 28 kWh/100 mi
    5 2018 Model 3 long range 310 mi 26 kWh/100 mi
    6 2018 Hyundai EV 124 mi 25 kWh/100 mi

• Bolt - something is terribly wrong
    • Hyundai EV - makes the Bolt look good
    Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Tracksyde, RCO, Dxta and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :D

RCO likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Since the 1970's the hydrogen lobby has shouted from the roof tops, "in just 10 more years!!" . Then when it didn't happen in the 80's it was 10 more - the 90's .... then the 2000's then the 20 teens ....
    Now it's 2040?
    Hmmm ... looks like they only prove they're an nice person ever 2 decades now. go hydrogen ..... no, really, GO.
    ;)

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I liked these comments:
    "Predictions are hard to make, especially when they are about the future" - Richard Feynman PhD

What I am hearing a lot of folks saying is we 100% know the future. But we are really saying that we have a strong opinion what we would like future to be, and we want to advocate for that vision.

bisco and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I stupidly clicked the link to see more of the paper. The shadier side is corporate and state lobbyists probably rigged some of the "science" in this paper. The bad assumptions though were freely available if you peered down into the free figures that showed them.

An interesting note from DOE hydrogen from that page. They say today's low volume dispensed hydrogen technology could deliver at $10-$16/gge (that is what California and japan are building with subsidies of $1.4M-$6M / stat). They estimate high volume production at $5-$7.50/kg (you build a a station like that and with current fleet projections it will cost around $100/kg before subsidies ;-)) Their goal is to figure out how to get the high volume down below $4/kg - but as california builds stations from the california reports needed subsidies are much higher than they estimated even in 2015. Those station costs need to contribute to the cost of hydrogen if they are to be built without hundreds of billions of dollars of subsidies. The good news is the cost of making 100K run of fuel cells is now low enough - estimated at under $6000 for fuel cells the size in the mirai. Japan may pay for such a run in the early 2020s.

The miracles are needed in fuel costs and tank bulk. The honda clarity is packaged about as well as you can using today's technology, but the tanks take up a lot more room than the batteries in the long range tesla model 3. Despite the clarity 8" longer and 1.4" taller the tesla trunks are 3 cubic feet bigger and head room and front seat leg room is better in the tesla, but that extra clarity length does buy 1.5" of extra rear leg room (something people don't usually care about. Some drones and toys are now using metal hydride storage for hydrogen, and breakthroughs here may allow for smaller, better shaped tanks and lower costs to distribute hydrogen. The tanks in the mirai or clarity are estimated to cost about $4000 in volume and that will go down in a decade with carbon fiber technology, but metal hydride tanks would cost in the tens of thousands today.

This is an old assumption about how heavy batteries are, how big they are, and how little you can put in a car. I believe the original assumptions were made in the 1990s, assuming battery progress would not continue. It is a sure thing that a long range BEV will be heavier than an equivalent short range one, and weight does increase rolling resistance which reduces fuel efficiency. How much can easily be seen ;-)
    Compare Side-by-Side

The 900 lb heavier model S 100d gets 101 mpge in the city while the long range model 3 gets 136 (and a dual motor model 3 with the smaller 50 kwh pack will do even better). On the highway though that added weight doesn't make nearly the difference. Here aerodynamics are important and that heavier pack doesn't make much of a difference. The cells in a model 3 are 70 millimeters long, and I will guess doubling the pack would add about 85 millimeters in height to the car or 3.4" that will slightly hurt aerodynamics adding about 6% to drag all things being equal. In today's tech it might add 1000 lbs, or increase rolling resistance by 25%. In my guestimates this would drop mpge from 130 to about 104, and give about 500 miles in range. Wait 10 years, and that 161 kwh would probably only be 300 lbs heavier than today's long range pack ;-) For reference the mirai is 240 heavier than a tesla model 3.

The bolt does slightly worse at 128 mpge in the city despite being lighter, but really that is not a difference many will notice. All things are not equal here ;-) The model 3 is much more aerodynamic so it is 12% more efficient on the highway.

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This kinda reminds me of a George Carlin routine, the big bands are back, but there's no place for them to play.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2040 is only 22 years out, so we do know a lot of things about a future that close. We know that certain assumptions made in the 1970s-1990s are false.

1) We will not hit peak oil by 2020 because technology will not be able to find more. We may be at peak oil today, because efficiency and alternatives (like plug-ins, non-petroleum plastics, and biofuels) may counter higher oil consumption.

2) 100 mile bevs are not good enough, and 300 mile bevs are not impossible or too expensive.

3) Nuclear power will not become extremely cheap and provide nearly free energy to produce hydrogen.

This makes certain assumptions like the willingness for large car markets (china is number 1, north america is number 2) to subsidize hundreds of billions of dollars of the development of hydrogen fueling infrastructure. Japan and Hawaii being islands with shorter fueling requirements may do this. The government of texas and US have not been able to actually fix I35 through austin in the last 35 years (highway runs from mexico through Minnesota). The odds of government across north america and china to build a much more elaborate hydrogen fueling system in 22 years with no plans today is an easy one. It simply won't happen. California passed a law in 2004 to build a 100 station hydrogen highway with lots of federal and state money. They added more money 4 years ago. in these 17 years they have only built 31 retail fueling locations. What are the odds in 17 more years there are 10,000 hydrogen stations in the US enough for people to feel comfortable to be able to fill up for a nationwide rollout. I would say odds are far less than 1%. For china its even worse.

#14 austingreen, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm still waiting on the promised ubiquitous practical/affordable jet pack . . . . .
    & my favorite "in just 10 years" ..... the flying car;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

HPrimeAdvanced and austingreen like this.
  16. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of those flying cars would have done great in a densely populated place like Lagos.

Ambulance services would ha e being OK with this.

Can you image how many people die daily or so, because ambulance services or vehicles have to stay in gridlocks for hours?

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is why locally we have helicopters to rush people to the hospital. Helicopters don't need runway to land to pick people up. Flying cars help with long range in less congested areas. Too many and you have air traffic issues.

For hill - this american start up has been purchased by geely - the chinese multinational that owns lotus and volvo.
    TF-X
    That means pockets and automotive knowledge are probably good enough to build luxury flying cars ;-) This has folding wings so that it will fit in a garage or city parking space. It also has incredible STOL (short take off and landing capabilities) as the electricly driven propellers can be pointed like a helicopter, then rotated to be in a plane like configuration.

I could see a zipcar like rideshare company having a fleet of these if the faa allows. LA/bay area/vegas/tahoe. It would be much more convenient than flying commercial then renting a car ;-)

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Move away from hydrogen to a liquid hydrocarbon for the fuel, and FCEVs become easier to sell.
    Nissan's FCEV uses ethanol.
    The Bolt is a boxy hatchback that is likely heavier than the Ioniq Electric because of the bigger battery with liquid cooling.

bwilson4web likes this.