1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Consumption During Typical Warm-Up

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JBumps, Jul 14, 2014.

1. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thought this may have been previously covered, but no luck with various searches.

Does anyone have any data on how much fuel is consumed during a typical warm-up period for the Gen III? I realize there are variables related to ambient temperature etc... just curious what information might be available from the collective PC knowledge pool.

FWIW: my interest is to get a baseline consumption figure to compare warm-up saving devices/techniques against.

#1 JBumps, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are more technical experts here (and many threads), but suffice it to say the the first 5 minutes approx. 25 MPG vs. 50 MPG normal.

There was a electronic hack (not sure if applies to Gen3?) to speed up the warm-up.

Keep in mind all USA Prii are CA_certified SULEV super low emissions vehicles. I am thinking if there were a non-SULEV Prius version available for non-CARB states, it might get better MPG during the warm-up. Possible that other hybrids (eg; FORDs) if not SULEV may have freedom for better MPG first 5 minutes.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I read somewhere that the Prius consumes approximately 1 gallon every 3 hours while idling. I've started mine in -20 weather, and it's warmed up in about 3-4 minutes, due to the exhaust-heat recovery system. I know that the engine runs more frequently in cold weather in order to keep the interior temperature up to the set level.

I'm happy enough with my current fuel consumption, not to want to resort to driving around in the Canadian winter with the heater shut off.

4. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the thermistor hack you mentioned installed on my PiP.

My data interest is not in the 'MPG' during this time, but the physical volume of fuel consumed by the engine to bring it up to standard operating temperature, i.e. start temperature to engine shutdown, without the hack activated. I can resort to Scangauge tests if no one is able to chime in, but I have a feeling some of the more tech savvy members here will be able to offer better info than I could achieve on my own accord.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    two egg size containers full on a cold winters day. too much imo to allow the ice to start if preventable.

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you disable the warm-up programming, it could lead to premature engine wear, and condensation build-up in the crankcase.

7. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a unit of measure I'm not familiar with. Are these eggs large? Jumbo? Brown or white?

8. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The unit does not completely eliminate the warm-up cycle, but rather tricks the car into thinking it has completed the complete process, after reaching 114 degrees. It has been used by many on these forums with great success. To your concern regarding condensation - no UOA reports have indicated any measurable water content.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :p good question. i would say average size chicken eggs. there's a thread here somewhere...

10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Depends on the ambient humidity over a certain period of time, and the usage cycle of the engine. I've read postings in here which mention cloudy engine oil. Using it extensively in EV mode, and only allowing the engine to warm up briefly is a recipe for allowing condensation to build up in the crankcase. Allowing the engine to work at full operating temperature fairly regularly is good for the engine in a variety of ways.

11. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    It depends on the henweigh.

12. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could collect some data but then those might turn into Molotov eggs from the anti warmup/remote starter crowd if you do. El Captain John (john1701a) has some observation on this related to heater settings while driving in winter.

13. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Styling mods are one thing, but modifying the computer programming is something else. Since the Prius is already the best at squeezing out more miles per gallon than any other car in its class, I think it's very presumptuous to think that simply reducing engine-run-time is something beneficial.

CharlesH likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Saying there's a hack that speeds the car's warm-up is a bit of a misnomer. It'll con the car into thinking it's warmed up sooner, and where does that go?

15. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Defending use of the thermistor hack was hardly the intent of this thread, but since you ask:

Using it to speed warm up times prevents unnecessary engine run time (run time that wastes fuel by warming an engine that won't be called upon during the trip). Often times my trip could be completed without the engine coming to life at all, but temperatures may cause a start/idle. This mod works seemlessly for this purpose and was designed and tested throughly. In two years of use (in two different cars), I've had no issues whatsoever.

Again, the point in asking this question to the masses was not to stir debate on the use of certain mods, it was to get a baseline fuel consumption reading against which to compare the effectiveness (fiscal effectiveness, i.e. is the installation and use cost effective) of using an engine block heater. Our neighbor's son needed an experiment for a school science project and I'm helping him out.

16. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But at what cost?

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd suspect you could get away with a modest shortening of warm up behaviours; there's a buffer. Still...

18. KV1955

KV1955 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No one else is gonna let you say it. So.....what's a henweigh?

19. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Oh, about two pounds. <drum roll-cymbal hit>

20. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cold day: a chicken egg or two