1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Door Does Not Stay Shut

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by delek, Aug 21, 2014.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Buy a small neodymium magnet and use some epoxy putty to stick it inside the filler area. They are really strong, so don't need a very large one to hold the door shut. You will want to be able to open it up, right? :D

SCH-I535

2. delek

delek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea. If I do that, perhaps I should attach a short strap as well, to open it with?

In the meantime, I finally brought the car to a Toyota dealer that is pretty honest. I was told that the cable is worn. The replacement part costs $37, but about 1.5 hours of labor would be needed, due to the number of parts that would have to be opened up to make the replacement. So, close to $200 total. Still, after four months, that is the only problem we've seen in our "new" six year-old car, so maybe we will do it.

3. delek

delek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea. If I do that, perhaps I should attach a short strap as well, to open it with?

In the meantime, I finally brought the car to a Toyota dealer that is pretty honest. I was told that the cable is worn. The replacement part costs $37, but about 1.5 hours of labor would be needed, due to the number of parts that would have to be opened up to make the replacement. So, close to $200 total. Still, after four months, that is the only problem we've seen in our "new" six year-old car, so maybe we will do it.

4. delek

delek New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes in the end I went to the dealer. At this point I was told it would cost about $300 including the labor, but I went ahead anyway. Soon enough they were done, happily announcing that it had taken less time than expected, and the cost amounted to about $200. Either way somewhat extravagant, but the door now works, and it was just about the only problem with our "new" used car.

btw the plastic catch which moves in and out to release the door sticks out about 3/8 inch, much more than the tiny nub which we saw before the repair.

5. elleonleo

elleonleo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to bring this back but having this issue all of a sudden this morning. I’m wondering if anyone could take a pic of their working nub catcher thing? Mike looks like the one in the previously posted pic. It no longer catches the door. The lever that opens it seems to not be moving anything anymore ; there’s no resistance. But perhaps that’s because the nub is no longer doing anything. Should I just try to pull it out with some pliers? Right now I just bent the metal to let it catch on something and then using a pen to open the door.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's a pic of the release pin. If yours won't come out, then I expect that the cable is sticking somewhere. IMG_20230729_122715198.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.