1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Economy and the EV button we didn't get.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by FredWB, Dec 17, 2003.

1. 299K

299K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for your input. I was just curious how far I could go on just batteries. I am planning on using ev mode at the end of my trips and allow the batteries to recharge after the next cold start.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not really a good idea either. Having good battery power at start up (when the engine is cold) is really more important. When you first power up on a cold start the battery pack actually gets worked pretty hard for the first couple of minutes until the ICE is warm enough to produce good power. Doing lots of cold starts on a low battery pack actually makes life harder on both the engine and the batteries.

For this reason I tend do the exact opposite of what you're suggesting. If I'm nearing home in the evening and the battery SOC is under 5 bars then I usually try to drive a little more aggressively and brake a bit more (where I'd otherwise be coasting) to bring it up to 5 or 6 bars before parking for the night.