1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel economy in long traffic jam (data)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sergio-PL, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cold, rainy Monday. 35 minutes in traffic jam.
    I started with 4 bars, finished with 3 bars, so this doesn't account too much for the result.

I started the car, and (before ICE ON) reset TRIP B.

Normal mode, car off for at least 7.5 hours.
    Outside temp: +7 C / 44 F
    Inside temp: +21.5 C / 70 F (mode: auto, AC off)
    Heavy rain (windscreen washers auto, often at continous speed).
    Headlights (halogen) on.
    Distance: 6.6 km / 4.1 mi
    Time: 35 minutes
    Average speed: 12 kmh / 7.5 mph
    Average consumption: 5.6 l/100km / 42 mpg :D

This is for those who wonder how this car will perform if battery gets low. Mine got at least 3 times to 2-bars forcing charge on stop.
    In picture below first bar is missing (went away from graph). It was at full 10 l/100km (max displayed). Probably real consumption on first bar was about 17 l/100km (14 mpg) - that was on TRIP B.

[​IMG]

I like it :)

4 people like this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info :)

Just to note - I used to spend about 3 hours morning and 3 hours evening stuck in very heavy traffic and on a Friday it was gridlock pretty much all day. You can get good fuel economy in a Prius in those situations, though sometimes when the HV cycles between 2 & 3 bars with the engine on and off, it does drop a little.

In fact I logged an entire year on fuelly and my average was 49 mpg UK which is about 41 mpg US or 5.7 litres/100km, which is pretty good and matches your findings.

3. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if you can monitor RPM (car will not tell you) from the condition you describe (44F outside) and you were using the heating ... right away. I would venture that your low MPG resulted from ICE never shutting down (OK this is not really winter condition but still) regardless of traction battery condition. In cold weather you can drive quite a bit before ICE will actually stop (if ever) if you have heating on (even moderate levels)....

This car (2010+) really doesn't like to retain heat I use full blocking all winter (just removed last Saturday the lower grill). That matters a lot especially when you need heating ... I monitor both RPM and water temp ...

I found that cold weather has a lot bigger impact than A/C in summer

4. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ICE shuts down about 4 minutes after start. I'm pretty sure that engine stops for two reasons:
    1) first shut down is after very audible engine sound change, then car shakes like traditional engine shut down
    2) every time MPG read-out goes to 0 l/100km I'm sure it's off (we are talking about speeds much lower than 45 mph / 72 kmh).

It occasionaly turns back on again but for this trip it was more forced because of empty battery that heat build up.
    In winter I used to drive ECO mode with temperature set at 18 deg (64 F). Engine was shutting down after 6 minutes, then restarted after 2 minutes for 30 - 45 seconds and then after at least 5 - 7 minutes.
    Difference on the same route between ECO and Normal in winter conditions was more than 1.5 l/100km.
    I can't use EBL due to parking on the street. Heater blocking it's also not an option - if my leasing company would now - it would refuse any service or warranty on that car.

But hey - 5.6 l/100km is still about 2.5 l/100km less than 90 HP Diesel and over 40% less than 110 HP classic R4 Petrol engine.

1 person likes this.
  5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen similar graphs on my car when I've been unfortunate enough to be in a long line of Stop and Go traffic. The symptoms were similar, the battery would discharge (despite my best efforts to not use the battery or drive EV, it is unavoidable when you can't get your speed above 7 mph. I hate seeing my battery going down, because I know there is a massive penalty coming to recharge it.

6. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Four minutes is quite long though .... that is for heating ... it should shut down a lot quicker in warmer days.
    That is interesting ... my engine shuts down very smoothly almost unnoticable especially while driving .... even when stops after
    I agree in my version (USA) the mpg actually read MPG so you would see the full scale .... but that is not the same as yours... highway over 45MPH often you can see the max but I can tell from scangauge that ICE is running 992 which is the lowest RPM ....
    I think ICE could turn back up for both traction batter depleted ... engine temperature is dropped (used up by your heating)...

You mean blocking the grill ??? That should be a none issue !!! Volt and some other cars have it built into them .. .the cooling system is designed to cope with up to 120F ambient temp so blocking the grills during the winter is totally fine (engine block heaters are only make sense up north in Canada and some northern states in the US). No warranty issues at all ... but it is better if you can monitor the coolant temp (especially the inverter coolant) ... but using it sensible is a non issue.
    Well agree on this when my brother-in-law (in Europe) said no big deal 5l/100km "your sistem car can do better" yes 1000cc no power steering no ABS no power-windows no A/C car sure can do 4.7 l /100km

Let's compare to 1.8L mid-size sedan

7. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does. On warmer days within 2-3 minutes. I don't need heating then ;)

Only one shutdown is noticable. EU versions shut down engine also in S2 stage, when all parts, except engine are still cold. Noticable shutdown is only the one with idle check ceremony.

Agree - but if you have to travel 5 miles without exceeding 10 mph it doesn't matter. Battery will be depleted shortly, no way to kick ICE in before you have to stop again. If I leave free space ahead - 3 cars get into that space and the driver behind me will change his face to red ;)

You are probably right but if you have a contract where service is in hands of leasing company - they will find any point to decrease their costs ;-)
    [/QUOTE]

Exacly :). Most of drivers (and many journalists) tend to compare Prius to the basic version of A class, 1.0 liter (or 1.4 Diesel) city cars with manual transmission and long "eco" gearing. Nobody tries to compare to mid-size sedan or even C-class hatchback.
    People also tend to compare "combined urban/sub-urban" consumption to Prius. In Euro test cycle combined means 80% sub-urban / 20% urban driving - so comparing city cars on sub-urban results in a joke ;)

2 people like this.
  8. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It think your car could/should give even a better result ....

And in Old Europe this is even a better pay-back then here in the New USA.....

What I usually do is to shut down the car (stops the ICE cold), and only bring up utility power (push start button without pushing the break) if you care for radio !!! that could save a lot ... and who cares sometime you maybe honked not jumping quick enough ... let the ICE only run when you are moving !!! and charge the battery ONLY when you actually moving... this works if you have 2-3-5 minutes waiting ....

Because with two bars you have plenty of juice to wait 5 minutes on auxiliary power, then when you move you use the ICE a lot more efficiently (move and charge ...)

9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure that would work long term Szgabor. When it was a cab it had a lot of electrical equipment running - meter, dispatch computer, 2 way radio, sat nav etc. If I kept turning the car to ACC mode then I'd kill the 12v within weeks.

Also the traffic is more 3 mph rather than complete stop.

1 person likes this.
  10. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am talking about complete stops .... and a predictable 1-2 minutes wait .... and NO I do not run much of anything other than the radio in those circumstances no ACC of course... if I do then will not stop the engine so all electrical is powered directly from traction battery or the generator/motor

I would say this is not for a cab not even in NYC ...

But in a cab scenario your running miles make the prius pay-back time a lot shorter (I assume). You probably drive as much in a month as I do in a year :)

11. Misty fog

Misty fog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive under very similar situation in my daily commute, usually at average speed around 15 km/h for total distance of 8km. My first 3km is usually smooth and the next 5km mostly slow crawl. Including engine warmup, I consistently get around 5L/100km after adjusting for 6% bias. Climate is warm here so that's not an issue and I apply moderate use of A/C. I've just started compiling more data to see how mileage can be affected by average speed.

12. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I drive into New York City Midtown everyday from about 25 miles away (not highway) the average speed IS a good indicator in traffic situation. Bad traffic means 13-14 avg MPH on the roundtrip ... good days like school vacation or similar 20-23 avg MPH ... and the mpg nicely reflect it slower avg speed yields about 50-52 mpg but higher easily around 60mpg !!! (

13. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My tank average is about 24 kmh (15 mph). I've tried Normal mode instead of Eco mode for the last 350 km with 5.2 l/100km reported and 5.6 l/100km calculated.
    24 km's ago I've refilled tank and got 5.8 l/100km displayed. After switching back to Eco mode reported consumption (since refill) dropped to 5.2 l/100km after 6 km/3.7 mi. I think that I'll stick to Eco mode in this kind of traffic.

It's hard to compare on only two refills but first one was done all at ECO and end up with 700 km with 5.3 l/100km calculated, near freezing conditions. Second one, warmer spring weather (mostly as on the begining of this thread), 65% on Normal mode, same round trip, ended up with 600 km and 5.6 l/100km calculated.
    It's getting warmer so I hope to break 5.0 l/100km barrier (calculated) on this tank. It will be hard in my slow crawling traffic but that's the part of the game :)

Ohh, and one more thing. In 12 C (59 F), with heater off, after 6 hours since last ICE use, it took about 1.5 minutes between READY and first automatic engine shut down (without driving, just turn on and wait, eco mode).
    I also observed today that to make idle check ceremony you don't even have to leave accelerator pedal. Mine did ICE shutdown while driving 30 kmh (19 mph) with first half of HSI filled.

14. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sergio/grumpycabbie, if you don't already have it, you should get yourselves a tomtom with HD traffic. IT has saved me from a lot of traffic jams, especially in downtown Munich, and it is often meter-precise....HD traffic should be available in Poland as well now.
    That said, to all, you might also want to read this thread and this post regarding commute time vs average speed vs temperature vs tires...

1 person likes this.
  15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have TomTom but not the HD traffic. Whilst good in that it shows you where the jams are, that doesn't help in a small city environment where the jams are usually on the only road/route. I know all the short cuts, side streets, rat runs, but they're no use if you can't actually get to the one you want because the arterial road is jammed up.

Unfortunately our motorway network is poor. Infact I remember having a politician in my cab a few years ago who was telling me about his time in cabinet. He said that he was getting held back on transport spending for expansion of the motorway network and got authorisation to build something like 50 miles. That same period Germany built an additional 1000 miles to their network of 4000 miles. The thing he stressed was that whilst we grumbled about 50 miles, that additional 1000 miles Germany was building was more than our entire motorway network at the time!

I don't think much more has been added to our since, though it is despirately needed. The 'Green' party lobby seems to win out every time, grinding our roads to a holt. It's all very well suggesting we all travel by bus, but those buses have to drive on something - a road.

Rant over :)

1 person likes this.
  16. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Becker unit with TMC Pro but it's unusable here in Poland, because someone had a funny idea to encrypt basic RDS data. But it saved me a lot of time driving through Germany and Italy. TMC-Pro data was really up to date and automatic alternative routes allowed me to avoid congestions in Hannover, Berlin Centre and around Munich as I travelled* from Brennero to Ingolstadt just around 17:00, sunny, Friday evening... ;)

* - well ... rather slowly crawled, watching my 1.9 JTDm going up to 10 l/100km of Diesel (but still averaged about 6 l/100km from Brennero to Frankfurt (Oder) with average speed about 130 kmh, on a single tank from Innsbruck/Austria to DE/PL border in Frankfurt) ;-)

Anyway - our roads are being rebuilt for Euro and almost everyone use alternative routes - even without HD traffic. I think it could save me a lot of time when something like big accident happens on the main road but I don't leave GPS unit in car for night (on the street) and don't carry it over every day - I do it only when I know that I'm going to the unknown part of the city or leaving city.

As GrumpyCabbie said in small distance traffic you drive everyday there are often no better routes that you already know.

I've read your post some time ago... I have to walk through Florence thread yet.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. My 9km commute takes 12 mins (average speed is higher at 34km/h and fairly consistent over the last 2.5 years). The temperature swings are taking a toll. One day it's 18°C and I'm at 4.1L/100km (MID) and then it drops to 0°C and I'm stuck at 4.8L/100km. The last few days have had highs near 5°C and I've slowly brought it down to 4.7L/100km. All it takes, is just one cool/cold day. Argh!

ECO mode helps with the heater and reduces output and lets the engine shut down earlier. That's probably why you're seeing in increase in fuel mileage (or decrease in fuel consumption). 15°C seems to be a sweet spot where you can run in Normal mode and still get good mileage because it's not warm enough to require A/C but warm enough that the engine can warm up quickly and shut down early.

18. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I read an article once that said why Ireland was the first place in Europe to get the Nissan Leaf.

Apparantly because the temperature is just right at 15-20c. Not -40c like Canada or +40c like Australia, just a nice happy 20c. It also added that electric cars don't mind rain. :(

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Interesting. And no, not all of Canada hits -40°C.

20. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sergio/Grumpy - I understand what you say. I drove 9 years the streets of Munich and I thought I knew all possible ways to go from my place to the office everyday. Oh God was I wrong. I have discovered routes and roads I didn't even know existed. I discovered that cutting downtown is sometimes much faster, with all the pedestrians, traffic lights, bikes, garbage collection (always blocking streets at 8am when everybody is going to work....:mad:), etc. you name it, than taking the "usual route" around town.

My commute is a min. 13/max 17 km commute, depending on the route, and since I have the HD Traffic GPS, I consistently arrive at the office in 30mins or less. Before it was always 40min-45mins (at the very least).
    The amount of fuel I am saving is amazing.

The good thing about the HD Traffic, is that you know exactly where the traffic is, before you even leave the place. So you can take a totally different route than expected, and adjust (it will do it for you) as you go.

This might not be practical in certain situations (as Grumpycabbie said for England: lack of roads), but I still could not imagine now going to work every day without it.

And I am also more relaxed because I exactly know when I am going to be home/office. The damn thing is precise +/-2mins max over a 30min trip with unpredictable city traffic. The only times I get there 5 mins later is because something totally unexpected happens - after all you are driving in town, not in the middle of the desert... ;)

Maybe for Grumpycabbie this does not apply, but Sergio, before you leave home/office, try to check out the route home/office at the routes.tomtom.com webiste and see if what it proposes, with the current traffic situation is what you would do or not. It is also interesting to see traffic change as time goes by during the day... :roll eyes:

I take also the Navi in/out from my Prius each time, each day - I will continue doing it because the benefit of having the Navi each time with me far outweighs the continuous plugging in/out.

The problem with TMC/TMC Pro is that often it is outdated. HD Traffic, is very seldom, if at all, outdated and it is very often precise to the meter. Updates are done every 2 mins, which for a town might not be fast enough, so you might see a traffic jam on the map that is already gone (usually for less than 2mins delay traffic jams). It is based on Vodafone mobile phone positions, as well on sensors, other traffic information, position of other HD Traffic devices, all bundled together. What makes it different is exactly the information from mobile phones and that is what convinced me to get it.

PS: for all US/Canada readers, especially living in towns, HD Traffic is available also there!!! The website above shows also traffic in your towns/areas!