1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel economy note with oil filter change.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mambo Dave, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    For the last ~7,500 miles I've had a down-turn with fuel economy. Didn't think anything of it - perhaps the car is getting older.

Changed the oil, still not thinking about it, but now here a couple weeks later I'm seeing consistently higher average MPG numbers (on both the car readout and Fuelly).

Granted I did switch from Mobil 1 0W-20 to PUP 0W-20, but I've never been a believer in oil making much of a difference at all - especially not same-weight oils. But then it hit me last evening: I was using a Mobil 1 oil filter for the Mobil oil change. I switched to buying Toyota OEM oil filters in bulk for this oil change.

It was most likely the far better filtering, but far more restrictive filtration media of the Mobil 1 oil filter causing a constant drag on the system. I have no qualms about Toyota filters (the newest version of which is even smaller than the Toyota OEM filter that came on the car from what I can tell), so I'm glad I made the switch back.

It is even much hotter now here in June - mid 80's up to 90 degrees - which should hurt fuel economy.

Before (in general, but sub-40's was pretty consistent on the car's computer) with the Mobil 1 oil filter:

[​IMG]

Lately with the Toyota filter:

[​IMG]

2. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm voting for the temperature change ......(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that was pretty awful for a 19 eco. how many miles on her? lead foot? 85mph average? :p

amos likes this.
  4. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    First, why are you NOT using 0W-16 oil? And warmer ambient Temps IMPROVE the MPG, if you do NOT use the A/C....

5. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Hotter air is less dense, so in theory your engine develops less HP in the hot summer. Throughout my life I've noticed this.

What car have you experienced the opposite in?

Perhaps it is the change to the summer blend of fuel though.

6. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    A/C is on 95% of the year. That's just a given - can't do anything about it.

0W-20 is so much easier to find, and is an acceptable swap for 0W-16, especially with highway asphalt temps reaching the scorching level.

7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, you would have to be driving very fast to get such poor fuel economy or something is wrong with the car. On a recent 460 mile road trip, mostly highway speeds (65-70) I averaged 55 mpg. Granted it was cool and I had the AC blower speed on the lowest speed. What kind of tires you got on her?

8. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Ooh, yeah, I went for comfort and lower noise tires instead of hybrid tires. Bridgestone Touranza Quietrack, something like that name. Those have been on for about 12,000 miles now (about 46k or 48k on the car).

I slowed it down to 80 MPH for much of the commute today, it didn't really boost my numbers. ... but then the right most lane opened up, so so did I.

We must have a recent influx of New Yorkers here, the 'passing' lane is slower than it ever has been with left-lane sitting earthworms.

9. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    FWIW: I‘ve been doing some research on oil filter brand differences and there is some evidence that different brands restrict oil flow more than others, Toyota’s being one of the least restrictive.
    I’ve also researched the differences between the w20 and w16 oils and flow rates at higher temperatures. For my 2022, I’ve decided that even temps we’ve experienced in the AZ desert I’d stick with Toyota’s recommendation.
    JMHO

SlaveToSoftware and Mambo Dave like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the shift to 0W16 was mainly to eke out an additional 1/10th or two mpg. Maybe necessary after their low friction piston ring gambit backfired. And all of this in honour of THEIR bottom line.

The shift from 5w30 to 0w20, with the advent of 3rd gen, was similarly motivated methinks.

11. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Back in 2008 I bought a new Ford F250 that had 5w-20 recommended for it even when doing heavy duty towing. I was pretty surprised to see that and concerned with it. When I asked the service manager at a dealership that had more than earned my trust he said to stick with it unless I wanted to end up with an oil burner! According to him, the tolerances were so tight going to a heavier oil wouldn’t gain anything except headaches. I followed his advice and I never had to add a drop of oil between the 5000 mile changes (due to pretty much constant heavy towing that was right at the max for the truck). Friends who felt the need for heavier weights ended up burning oil. FWIW

Mambo Dave likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah for our 3rd gen the oil spec is 0W20. 4th gen is a very similar engine.Checking the Toyota USA Owner's Manual for 2016 (pdf format, downloaded from Toyota Tech Info website), I see the spec continued to be 0W20:

upload_2022-6-25_16-21-12.png

Then somewhere along, maybe at the 2019 refresh, they revised to 0W16. Maybe because it had just become available?

Anyway, that switch to 0W16, from 0W20, with AFAIK identical engines, both 4th gen, has me thinking it's mostly policy, and quest for mpg "brownie points", that's behind the change.

13. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    One thing of note is a significant change in the 2022 manual
    ■ Engine oil selection
    “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
    Oil grade:
    ILSAC GF-6B multigrade engine oil
    Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-16
    SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
    If SAE 0W-16 is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change.

That “GF-6B”. And the “must be changed” is a gotcha when it comes to warranty issues. While I can agree it might be “policy” I would think that “policy” could very well be based on science or at least engineering advancements, perhaps in the oil.
    I haven’t found a 0w-20 in my area that meets that GF-6 requirement.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  14. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    All good conversation, but with the temps here I don't feel that I need 0W-16, and 0W-20 is far more common. In fact, I don't think Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is made in a 0W-16. I'm willing to go for the better oil and not sweat the 4-points difference that were made for fuel economy.

Doug McC is correct that modern engines have tighter tolerances than ever before, and that they require the thinner oils to properly lubricate tighter areas. But four points less? For engines that didn't require it, but then started requiring it without engine re-designs, I agree with Mendel that this was a fleet change requirement to post better fuel economy numbers to governments.

Doug McC and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I don’t know about your 2019 Manbo Dave, but the manual for the 2022 specifically states
    “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
    Oil grade:
    ILSAC GF-6B multigrade engine oil”

And I have repeatedly checked (in fact, just now) for oils that meet ILSAC GF-6B and the ONLY oil that meets it is 0-w16. According to enginebuildermag.com (which I know nothing about) Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil: SAE 0W-16 meets it. Ironically, Mobile One never does claim theirs meets it.
    I have yet to find a 0-w20 that meets it, the ones I found that come close only meet 6A at best.
    I wonder if there was a supplier change on engine parts that might have resulted in the change? Regardless, with that statement in the manual, 2022 owners would need to be careful choosing another grade.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe, but I doubt it. The later vs earlier 4th gen owners manuals really looks like someone just ran a search/and/replace function (2016 Owner's Manual, then 2022):

upload_2022-6-27_14-0-30.png
    upload_2022-6-27_14-2-2.png

Yeah I see the grade difference too, but I'd wager there's nothing significant different in the engines.

amos and Doug McC like this.
  17. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    That begs the question “has Toyota approved 0-w16 for earlier Gen4s?” The oil sites I’ve checked say the 6B is not backward compatible to earlier engines. So if Toyota hasn’t approved it……?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Found this:

GF-6 is the name of the next ILSAC standard for passenger car motor oils. Drivers for its development include the ongoing push for greater fuel economy and the resulting engine downsizing that has grown the application of Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (TGDI) engines. TGDI engines require increased protection against Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear.

Much like the current American Petroleum Institute (API) specifications for heavy-duty engine oils (CK-4/FA-4),GF-6 will be split into two sub-categories. The distinction between the two is as follows:

• GF-6A: Backward-compatible standard for SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, and SAE 10W-30, but not SAE 0W-16. This standard will continue to utilize the starburst symbol for licensing.
    • GF-6B: New standard for SAE 0W-16 ONLY, developed to meet the needs of specific modern engines. This standard will not be backward-compatible to previous categories and will have a new licensing symbol for bottles.
    -------------------------

So the Prius doesn't have a turbo, and the engine hasn't been downsized from the 2016's. It does seem that the GF-6 requirement was/is for reporting to the governments that tiny bit more MPG. Again - absolutely, positively, not worried about a quality 0W-20 in the engines that only see 50 degrees F and up.

Doug McC and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have to correct myself on my earlier comment about Mobile One. I finally found a claim on their site that their 0-w16 DOES meet the 6B specs.