1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel economy with air conditioning

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bobisshortforbobert, May 26, 2018.

1. bobisshortforbobert

bobisshortforbobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. I have the mechanically similar Aqua (for the Japanese market). My fuel economy has dropped considerably this summer (about 32-36 degrees or 93F) with the ac on. However, I still get excellent fuel economy without the ac: according to the display, in city driving, the car gets 26-28 kmpl (roughly 62 mpg). However, this figure drops to about 14-16 kmpl with the ac on.

This is also considerably lower than what the car used to do last summer. I've noticed that it doesn't convert to electric mode that often with the ac, even with the battery charged. Moreover, when I crank up the ac fan, the battery fan become very loud. Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be happening here?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

check the intake grille and fan for cleanliness.

3. bobisshortforbobert

bobisshortforbobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    I've already cleaned the fan grille.

4. Toy Boy

Toy Boy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Bob,

I was wondering what year your Aqua is as this sounds like a possible battery issue, I live in a hot area and I noticed the compressor never turns off with a/c on so I manually turn on/off the the compressor to save power as it does not seem to turn off with the thermostat. The thermostat seems only to operate the ducts and let more heat in from the engine to compensate for getting too cold. Even when really hot and the a/c running all the time my mileage drops some but is still very respectable when I lighten my lead foot;)
    My Prius C is getting older now (2012) and I am looking for ways to check the battery life/health and hopefully prevent a failure.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose A/C is a big drag on MPG, but we do not usually see it because other things are better in hot temperatures (less tire resistance, less lube viscosity, etc). In stop and go (city) driving, those other factor tends to be less important. What is your typical length of trip?