1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel efficient non-hybrid car. Which one?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Eug, Jun 26, 2007.

1. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was really impressed with the Honda Fit when I saw it at the dealer *once*. A few days before we bought our Prius we stopped at the Honda dealer to look at the Fit again and they had none. This was in September last year. I also like the Yaris 3 door, but not the 4 door sedan. I'd like to compare both cars, but I think the Fit wins since it's a 4 door and has more cargo space.

I have had a couple of Civics before we got our Prius, and I loved them. But they don't seem to be built as solidly as the Corolla we have.

That being said, in three years or so after we get the Prius paid off, I'm thinking of selling our 1991 Corolla LE and getting a standard transmission Fit. They are everywhere in Japan.

Here is a 5 door Toyota Vitz (In Japan the Yaris is called Vitz) seen last November in Yokohama,

[attachmentid=9507]

And a Fit:

[attachmentid=9508]

And a Prius in Kyoto:

[attachmentid=9509]

[attachmentid=9510]

And a classic Prius:

[attachmentid=9511]

Attached Files:

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jul 7 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]474812[/snapback]</div>
    At one point, the Honda Fit was the best selling vehicle in Japan. Now it's #3 per http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/05/news/sxcars.php.

3. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Honda Canada is currently rebating the equivalent of the federal rebate to stay competitive with Toyota. My understanding is that this rebate comes from Honda corporate, and shouldn't impact your dealer's bottom line (and thus your ability to negotiate).

Have you considered buying used (esp. since this is going to be a second car)? Also to stick with the hybrid vein, take a look at the Civic hybrid. Bit of a step up from a fit/yaris, and doesn't have some of the versatility with folding seats, but you already have a Prius for that...

4. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone noticed that Honda is being very stubborn about their transmissions-- there is no
    detent whatsoever, from Park at the top and shifting downwards to 2nd or 3rd gear. Many a times
    I have found myself driving in 2nd gear instead of D. But I have to admit the Honda engines are
    so very nice. They are so quiet sometimes its not noticeable to be in D or 2nd. But, anyways,
    For that reason, i will always go with a Toyota over the Hondas.

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hmmm... I wasn't aware of that Honda Fit rebate. I'll have to look into it.

However, it seems my GF is set on the 5-door Yaris (automatic Package B with air conditioning, keyless entry, ABS, ABD. and power windows). Her brother has one and loves it, and he went to the Yaris from a Mini. Actually, I'm a bit surprised he likes the Yaris, given his previous car.

Pricing the cars out, it seems the Yaris still comes out cheaper even if you include the Honda rebate, and the gas mileage of the Yaris is better too.

One thing I found interesting was the iPod interfaces for those cars. Why so expensive? Do any of the sound systems have AUX inputs? If not, the MP3 player option for $100 in the Yaris is fine.

[attachmentid=10066]

The iPod attachment seems rather overpriced given the $355 price.

[attachmentid=10067]

Attached Files: