1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel filter and in-tank filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gen2prius, Jan 29, 2015.

1. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Going through the maintenance check list, it mentions "fuel filter, including in-tank filter" replacement at 80,000km or 4 years.

This is not something at the DIY level is it? sounds like an exxy item.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Where are you located? If your Prius is North American version it has a bladder fuel tank and you can’t check or change fuel filter. It’s integrated into fuel tank.

If you have the non-bladder version. If where you live fuel quality is good and you don’t use dirty fuel canisters you don’t really need to check or replace it. Fuel filter is in the tank. You take it out by removing access cover, under rear seat, and removing fuel sender unit, fuel filter is on the bottom of that.

Checking may just mean to use computer to check fuel pressure under full load.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what maintenance list are you looking at? sounds like the dealer. if so, ignore it and look in your o/m.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As informed by the above post the services required on a Prius varies greatly on where you are in the world. Putting this information in your avatar helps us to help you.
    There are also a number of mechanical changes depending on where you are or the car came from. Guarantees also vary greatly.

John (Britprius)

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a video and a procedure in this forum somewhere, but I think I can fix this problem for you in about thirty seconds, and all you will need is a pen or a pencil.
    If you're my age?
    You may need reading glasses too.

Take your writing implement and strike out the part about checking the fuel filter!
    Done.

IIRC, for your car, the filter is in the tank with the pump.
    Both are "lifetime" units, which is a bit of a dodge that really means that they will last as long as they last.

So....let's take a look at this from a more practical point of view:
    80,000 km isn't even 50,000 miles.
    Why would you take the car apart, and then take the tank apart to see if the filter needs replacing?
    If the filter fails it might cause the pump to go out, which would mean that you would have to take the car apart, and then take the tank out to replace either tank or filter.

Sounds like the cure is almost as bad as the disease.
    Forget it.

If you're going to keep your car for 300,000 kilometers (186,000 adult miles) then you might have to worry about a fodded out filter or a failed pump, but I haven't seen or heard very many cases where a Prius Tank has had to be replaced .....maybe once in four years on this site.

Good Luck!

6. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Thanks for the tip guys. I'm from Australia and have updated the profile accordingly :)

The fuel filter replacement is one of the items from the Toyota service log book, so I thought it's not made up by the dealer.

What does the fuel bladder look like and how can I tell if mine has one? The car has just ticked over 50,000km (far from 80k), but it is 6 years old (so well over 80k or 4 years which ever comes first clause).

Anyway I also feel it may not be absolutely necessary as I mostly use premium fuel (98 RON) and it should be reasonably clean.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think there was a bladder outside n/a. i would wait for 80,000 km, filters get clogged by the amount of gas going through them, not time.

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fuel bladder is only in North American model Prius.

I would wait for it to get to about 80tkm before doing anything. Then you can decide if it really needs replacing. Do they actually even replace it at the dealer or just do some sort of test and say its ok?

I don’t think Prius benefits anything from above 95 RON. Higher octane number doesn’t mean fuel is other vice better.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As "Valde3" says I would not worry about the fuel filter. I have never come across a report of a gen2 Prius having a fuel filter blockage. My own car is at 112000 miles without a filter clean, and there are reports of vehicles with three or four time that millage here on PC without filter problems. The filter is more of plastic strainer than a conventional filter.
    The fuel tank pump/filter/gauge sender unit can be removed on the gen2 in all versions except the north American continent models. With these the tank is completely sealed. In many countries it is not considered a service item. This is why I asked about your location in my previous post. It is a service item on the gen3.

John (Britprius)

10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have to replace your fuel tank filter regularly, you are using bad gasoline.I think there are fortunes to be made by selling filters that get replaced for no reason at all.

#10 GregP507, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Valde3 said, the Gen II is spec'ed for RON 95 and you will get no benefit from using a higher fuel octane, except relieving your wallet of $$$. There is also no correlation between fuel octane and fuel quality.

GregP507 likes this.