1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel gage non-linearity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by viking31, Jan 23, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I disagree, this technology is far too old... I think they just haven't had the motivation to do otherwise
    If I can think of things on the fly, I know there are much smarter people than me that can do much better

..... they could still use the collaspable container and simply have a pressure sensor that weighs the gas. that would be extremely accurate.

They could build some Hysteresis into the system to remove inaccuracies from racing around corners and bouncing down the road. http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/sethna/hyster...Hysteresis.html

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone have a picture of this "bladder"? Do other cars use this type of thing?

I am use to gas tanks always seeming to be slow to show the start of use but then seem to hit "E" very fast on the last half of a tank. This car seems to be no different. Filling up this car is different though and I do have the best luck getting the tank full by controlling the nozzle flow.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

all I have is the page from the ncf for the 2k4

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wholly smokes!.. is there anything that is not complicated on this car?

It just shows how powerful Toyota engineering is that it all works so well and for so long!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    heh. windstrings, you should see the wiring diagrams and the training books that DH has piled up on our coffee table. the pile gets much bigger if he's got a bad diagnostic case to research.

the gas bladder is nothing. ;)

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

more simple gas tank, fuel gauge pix's form the NCF.

7. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I recently replaced the platic housing that contains the multi-gauge/fule gauge assembly. When it arrived it included the fuel meter inclinometers with it, so I ended up replacing them too. There is a calibration procedure you do by pushing buttons in the correct order to set the level condition for the inclinometers. I don't know if it's real or not but after doing that the gas gauge seems more linear than before.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

yea.. thats my point... if the bladder is complicated, how crazy and complex is the rest of the car?

Wow... the gap between America and the Eastern world in education on a high tech level is starting to become obvious!..
    on a world level we are starting to get the fat lazy redneck image who gets by with his brawn and muscle rather than his brains!

I guess when there is a gap on the high school level and college and those kids grow up.. here we are today!... our fine education is finally paying off by having japan beat our pants off in technology!

And that thiers works so good and for so long is the other amazing part of the equation.....

Seems the only way we are excelling as Americans in technology is if we "copy" someone elses work :(

When are we going to value education?...

Sorry, boy I'm trying really hard to be good and not to get this thread distracted....

Well I'm just glad someone is doing it!... and they are not even rubbing our faces in it like we probrably would them if we had the chance!... the economy itself is doing it for us!

Now I'm hearing or saw on the news yesterday that "not enough people are buying Ford either".... looks like they are all heading for belly up at this rate?

Most of this thread didn't talk much about the bladder.. Ill take it elsewhere and start a new thread.

9. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

I say we do it like jetliners and just go by weight.