1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Gauge Calibration Instructions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Feb 2, 2006.

1. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

how do you turn the Odo/Trip off then on? when I hit it it goes to B then odo reading
    where does the 6 digit code appear
    I got to keep your foot off the brake then whe I pushed the power button twice the gauges were black (ie not showing) sometimes they are showing at least 3 of the yellow pictures were up...I tried it several times
    thanks

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darwin100 @ May 6 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]250776[/snapback]</div>
    Make sure that the odometer is on Trip A when you power off the car. With the car still OFF, push and hold down the Odo/Trip button. Then, with the foot off the brake, while still holding down the Odo/Trip button, push the Power button twice. At this point, release the Odo/Trip button and push it three times within five seconds. On the third push keep holding it down until a six digit code appears in the Odometer readout. When the code appears, release the Odo/Trip button and immediately push it again and hold it down for another five seconds. At this point, the six digit code will change to a five digit number. The last digit will keep changing. When it turns to 1, release the Odo/Trip button and the normal odometer reading should be visible.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  3. prius2go

prius2go Member

Ive tried this about a 100 times and I cant get the sequence to work :(
    anyone else?
    Does the odometer step through each time you press it quickly?

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok. I have am issue. Regardless of how cold it has been here in Chicago the gas gauge had been working properly. I pumped about 4 gallons yesterday and the gas gauge did not reset to full from 1/2 reading. Thinking that pumping gas would reset the gauge, I went to the gas station again after driving 100 miles today. Between yesterday, drove 100 miles, put more gas to fill level, the gas gauge never budged. Never had this issue before. I have read all the posts here but am at my wits end here. Before I go to the dealer, anyone have any ideas?

5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would try disconnecting the 12V battery. no tools required, you can remove the red cover then disconnect the white clips on the positive side and that will disconnect it. Hope this helps!

6. Anthony Williams

Anthony Williams Antonation205

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had problems with the sequence as well, but I figured it out. After you turn the car off and then back on, you must press the odometer button 3 times quickly. My problem was that I was waiting five seconds after turning the car back on, but as soon as you turn the car back on press the button three times quickly and hold it down on the 3rd push. Then the code will appear.

7. waltvl

waltvl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Don't count on the Toyota dealer doing this for you. Today I asked them and was told that the Prius for 2005 did not have inclination sensors. I don't know what to believe. This was Sparks Toyota in Myrtle Beach. Maybe I'll try these instructions listed here by myself.

SFO likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or another dealer. welcome to priuschat!(y)

9. pburkh

pburkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius with 140,000 miles. When I go to fill up on the flashing final pip, I can only get 7.0 gallons in. Used to put in 9+ gallons when that low. I've tried the fuel gauge reset process and we'll see how it goes.

ydpplqbd and fairclge like this.
  10. AquaJan

AquaJan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any luck?
    My 2007 with 180k just started doing the same thing. Also, after a fill up (until the nozzle clicks) it only shows 9 pips.

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Always enjoy learning something new after viewing an old thread for the first time :whistle:

12. Fred Norris

Fred Norris New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hi Everybody,
    About a month ago the maintenance required light came on, really wasn't worried about that one since I change the oil and filter every 3K miles and check for codes. But the fuel gauge started acting crazy it showed 1/2 tank. I filled it up but it never changed! So A REALLY BIG THANKS to everyone in this site and sharing information. MY first problem on the 09' Prius I couldn't get to trip/Odo A. After about 15 tries it started working where I could change it. I did the calibration from the great help here and it worked as they said. But the fuel gauge was still stuck, I reset the maintenance light and decided to pull off the positive side of the battery and it looks like a motorcycle battery right along side of it. Let it sit for 10 minutes and put everything back together. Now the fuel gauge seems to be working I filled it up and the gas station is only 3 miles from my house. So we'll see what happens. But, Thanks to everyone and your help, much appreciated.
    Fred

13. Yiye

Yiye New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is what worked for me. Disconnect both terminals of the aux battery and touch the end of the cable together for 5 seconds. Re-connect the cables. This will recalibrate everything in your car.

14. kswahl1

kswahl1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this for real?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No. But it will leave you needing to reinitialize various things mentioned in the manual as needing it after the battery has been disconnected. Power windows, etc. Radio presets. Mostly easy stuff.

16. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same thing that I am dealing with now.

17. Organfreak

Organfreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Gen2 2008 guage is stuck now at 2 pips, no matter what's in it. Temps are cool. Might this 'reset' procedure fix it?

18. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My suggestion is give the fuel gauge recalibration procedure a try. And, then let us know how you make out.

SFO likes this.
  19. gary40

gary40 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the problem with the fuel gauge giving an incorrect reading and decreasing rapidly full to half-full after only 185 miles. This happens after I changed the 12-volt battery. So I tried the above instruction for resetting the fuel gauge. BUT.. how do you turn the Odo/Trip off and then on 3 times? All that has done was circling through trip B, odo, trip A. Holding down the odo/trip button afterward did not produce any 6-digit code.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you in the correct mode, IG-ON when doing the procedure? IG-ON is when you press the power button twice with your foot OFF the brake pedal.

From my reading of the instruction in step #7:

Release the ODO button then press the ODO button
    release the ODO button then press the ODO button
    release the ODO button then press the ODO button and hold down the button – all within 5 seconds.

I hope that helps.