1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel gauge remained full aft 140 miles or 1.78 gals

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fishcrab, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fuel gauge did not move, then topped it off again, then it started working.
    Was it because I did a extra click on pump , after filling up the first time.
    Something I never do, when I fill up.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The extra click will contribute, as will individual pump shut-off variations.

But fuel also sloshes around in the tank, and the gauge filters out most but not all of this slosh. It can be tricked into dropping a notch prematurely, or into returning a notch that disappeared earlier. City stop-and-go, and fast winding mountainous roads, will create a lot more slosh than flat steady highway drives.

If you have a engine monitor (ScanGauge-II, Torq, and others), watch the unfiltered fuel level, FLV. It can move around multiple gallons very quickly, as fast as it can update.

The short answer is: Don't overthink this. The gauge is influenced by more factors than we can keep track of, causing the displayed value to have less value and meaning than you are trying to extract from it.

#2 fuzzy1, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  3. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Fuzzy, thanks for your answer, good info.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm used to getting ~ 150 miles from a full tank until the first bar of the fuel gauge drops, then bars drop off pretty quickly :)
    The halfway mark though is pretty accurate.

If I care how much fuel remains in the tank without danger of running out, I assume an 11 gallon tank and use the tank MPG reading. This works for me since I always reset a trip meter and fill the tank when I refuel.

#4 SageBrush, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  5. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Sagebrush,
    My trip meter resets itself most of the time when I fill up.
    I usually fill up when only two notches showing.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get a really good fill up you can get 150-160 miles or so on the first PiP (assuming 50+ MPG) but its downhill after that the PiPs go away every 20-30 miles

Fishcrab likes this.
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have to reduce my assumed tank capacity to 10 gallons in cold weather in my 2004 Prius due to stiffening of the gas tank bladder (you don't have one in your 2012 Prius).

JeffD

Fishcrab likes this.