1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel gauge shows not full but filled up?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ECR, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ECR

ECR Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I been having this issue when I drive to 0 miles left on gauge, then fill it at gas station and it clicks like its full, but shows only 8.5-9 gallons? And fuel gauge shows 1 bar missing from full.
    2011 66k miles

Took to dealer and they replaced gauge module and was ok for 2 fill ups but now its doing it again.

Thoughts? Before I bring back to dealer.

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Run the gas in to the SECOND click.

Then, don't worry about it.

The important point is that you don't run out without a warning.
    Whether or not it shows F when it's full is inconsequential.......especially if you are paying for the repairs.

P.S You might want to update your profile to show that model and year of car that you currently have.

3. ECR

ECR Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I tell the gas attendant to keep topping it off cause I always say
    "that can't be full" but it keeps on clicking like its really full.

Dealer said they confirmed a fault, the gas in the tank didnt match what gauge was reading so they replaced it?

I figure I ask here if anybody else had a similar issue.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't forget, there are 2 gallons left when it reads zero dte, safety fuel, so you're missing around a gallon?

5. ECR

ECR Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    ^^^yes exactly and I drove past 0 miles left and only 8.5 gallons to fill up. Missing a gallon thats why it shows 1 bar less on fuel gauge?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the 1 bar missing issue, do as others suggest and fill to at least the second click. Mine sometimes quits early, sometimes way early. My Subaru doesn't stop early, but it has somehow reached states where the gauge stops 1 to 3 bars short of the top. It always returns to normal on the next refill.

For the '0 miles left', remember that the gauge is nonlinear, the bars don't necessarily represent the same amount fuel, the top of the gauge isn't at the real top of the tank, and the bottom of the gauge is not at the real bottom of the tank. All this comes from past cheap gauge components, and the necessity of managing customer expectations. Customers get hot when get stranded without fuel while the gauge is still above 'E', or when changing condition cause the tank runs dry faster than expected earlier in the journey. Thus, the manufacturers typically built in a lot of safety margin at the bottom, so customers can't legitimately claim 'But the car said I had enough gas! It didn't warn me!' Sorry, but you had plenty of warning and cannot blame anyone else.

If you want to be really safe, then you must just put up the car's warnings to GET GAS NOW! when it take only 8.5-9 gallons. If you want to operate down into the last gallons, shaving the safety margin, read this thread first: [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III) | PriusChat

Here are other reasons why large safety margins are needed:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]