1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Gauge stuck on half-full

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cawthron geek, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Cawthron geek

Cawthron geek New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was involved in a collision and had my 2005 Prius (direct from Japan import) in a collision repair shop. The shop performed the necessary electronic checks and fixed the superficial damage to the Prius. After a time, the car was completed and I drove it off-the petrol gauge was at the half tank mark.

One week later, driving 80k (~50m) a day, my gas gauge is still at the half tank mark. I decided to fill up the tank. I paid for what seemed to be almost a full tank price...and the gas gauge increased by one increment only. It still hovers at one bar over the half mark.
    Scouring the web, and this site, I found a fuel calibration protocol. Here it is:

1. Park the vehicle so as it is level,front to back and side to side.
    2. IgOn (not Ready mode) and make sure that "Trip A" is showing on the odo (this is where we made a mistake).
    3. Power down.
    4. Keep your foot off the brake.
    5. Push in and hold down the Odo/Trip button.
    6. Push the Power button twice to IgOn (not Ready mode).
    7. Turn the Odo/Trip off then On 3 times in 5 seconds (I pressed it three times within five seconds).
    8. Continue holding the Odo/Trip button until a 6 digit code appears.
    9. Release, then push again the Odo/Trip button for another 5 seconds. The 6 digit code will change to a 5 digit code.
    10. After the middle digit,of the 5 digit code,changes to "1" release the Odo/Trip button and the odometer will return to normal reading

I tried this procedure several times. My problem is that at step 8 in this procedure, no 6 digit code appears. Does any one have any advice?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. QPilot

QPilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have the same problem too, but this time. It stuck at full bar at 340 mile when it is usually at around 400miles.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is probably not helpful to post in a Gen 2 forum as this area of the generations is different. Your car is a Gen 3, so post over there to get advice on your issue.

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what the Prius uses, but my first thought would be to pull out the fuel level sensor and make sure it is OK.

In many cars that sensor works by having a float move a conductor up or down on a wire coil. Basically it is a large variable resistor. If the wire in the coil breaks the meter either drops to zero or hangs up at some intermediate value. Sometimes a meter might work when the tap conductor was above the break and then drop to zero when it was below, or the tap conductor could hang up on the broken wire, at which point it could not drop further.

6. Formula_Ron

Formula_Ron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had a few instances over the last year where the fuel gauge reading was stuck, probably due to overfilling the tank :rolleyes:.

I've tried the steps in the OP and it didn't work. What has always worked for me was to disconnect/reconnect the 12V battery to reset everything. The fuel gauge will blink at 1 pip for a few miles then will eventually read normal.