1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Gauge Theory

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tim_in_jax, Mar 1, 2005.

1. tim_in_jax

tim_in_jax New Member

I was reading previous threads discussing the inaccuracies of the Fuel gauge and came up with a thought.

Let me start by saying that I have only had my 2005 Prius since 2/19/05 so my experiences might only be temporary while the car "breaks-in". I am on my third tank of gas and I have noticed that while the gas gauge is not evenly spaced in terms of how fast or slow it is depleted, but it seems to align, for me anyway, with the miles per tank and MPG numbers on the "Consumption" screen. By this I mean that I filled the tank with about 9 gal. and currently I am averaging 45 MPG and I have driven 200 miles. With these numbers, I should roughly achieve about 400 miles on this tank. Current my gauge is showing half full which is about where I would expect it to be given the previous info. I have also noted that the my drastic drops in fuel level according to the display have always been in period where my MPG kind of sucked ( passing other cars, accelerating from a dead stop, etc... ).

I am just wondering if anyone thinks that it stands to reason that the fuel gauge is actually calculating the level instead of displaying the exact amount.

Again I have no information to support this theory. I was just wondering if this made sense to anyone else but me.

Tim

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I tried this same logic, Tim. Once.
    For a tank, the bars disapeared at intervals seemingly tied to the number of gallons in the tank. Even though there are ten bars and twelve gallons. But that corrolation is intermittant.

3. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

So far I get the impression my fuel bars are more consistent than when the last bar
    starts blinking.

From my last bar to the blink I've seen as little as 10 miles and as much as 50.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have tried to tie the bars to gallons used between bars. I could only do it for the 1st 1/2 tank. There seems to be some deviation between bars.

I figured it out this way:
    Wait until first bar goes away. Calculate gallons used by dividing MPG/miles.
    On next bar going away, do same. This is total gallons used since fillup, so subtract last calculation.
    Repeat for each bar.
    This will allow for gallons per fillup and MPG variations.

I have noted though, on the average, the 1st half tank bars are about 30 miles apart, except for full to first bar, which is about 170 miles.
    Last half of tank is about 50 miles per bar.

5. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Actually the fuel gauge is pretty accurate, at least in my Classic, but because we drive it in different conditions and that make it seems inaccurate.

First we need to understand how the meter ECU corrects the calculation of fuel level:

1) 2 inclination sensors that detect the vehicles's longitudinal and latitudinal inclinations.

2) An ambient temperature sensor in the fuel tank to detect the temperature in the fuel tank.

The fuel level is calculated by the meter ECU in accordance with the signals of the sender gauge located in the sub tank, and the vehicle speed signal received from the skid control ECU. At this time, corrections are made by the signals from the inclination sensors and the ambient temperature sensor.

So, if we do not always travel on level road and the temperature swing is huge, how can we expect the bar to bar transistions to be linear? Beside this, there is also the "bladder" effect that adds to the complication.

For my case, even without the "bladder" and our roads are almost flat, I can notice the effect of temperature on the fuel level. My commute are mostly going to work early in the morning and going home late in the evening. Temp. range from 26C ~ 30C and the bar to bar transistions are almost linear from the 9th bar to the 3rd bar. 10th bar depends on how much I topped up. 2nd bar and 1st bar drop very fast. Blinking bar is the same as those in the 9th to 3rd bar. However, in the weekends, if I drive on hot afternoon, normally 33C ~ 36C, the fuel level will drop much faster. Since the fuel gauge uses resistive element, higher temperature will mean higher resistor value and higher resistor value means more empty.

I'm sure everyone must have seen this, the fuel level just dropped 1 bar before you switched off the car. On the next morning, the fuel level gain back 1 bar.

Vincent

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have been tracking the current miles and computer MPG for each bar. Of course I don't always catch when a bar drops. But, it seems that for 6 bars and lower, the number of miles between bars tracks kind of closely to the computer MPG at that point in time.

From full to 6 bars seems much more variable. For example, my last tank with computer MPGs mostly 39+, with about 41 for the first 3:

7. chris_wass

chris_wass New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I average 46-48 MPG on the tank, and my fuel gauge starts to blink anywhere between 320-360 miles. If I fill up when it tells me, I can barely fit 8 gallons in there. I now ignore it and fill up at 400 miles, and I've still rarely made to 9 gallons needed to fill.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Vincent, post some pics of your Prius in S'pore. I'm curious to see how those look like (whether it's more European or Japanese or NA). Borneo Motors' site doesn't show much.

9. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I think it is more like the Australian's version because when I DIY CC, there was also no Cruise Light Indicator. :(

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh wow, it's SD* already? haha.. it was SCN when I was there

How different is it from Europe or North America?

11. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"68977)</div>
    Due to high import tax, many items, that are standard in other countries, are removed in the SG ver., eg. NAV, CC, Alarm, etc. In spite of this, it still cost more than 3X (USD 63K) as compared to other countries. :guns:

Vincent

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    $63,000 for a classic? Or even an '05? What do other cars cost? Much as I love my Prius, I wouldn't pay $63K for it!!!!

Public transportation here I come!

13. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    As this thread has drifted from original post, I 've created another thread in the International Owners.

Prius in Singapore

Vincent