1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel gauge with Torque Pro app?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mookie60, Jan 23, 2023.

1. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

2004 Prius, 203k miles

The MFD has completely stopped working, so no dash display. I will DIY repair it when time permits, but that may be a month or 2 from now. Temporarily, I have an old phone I thought I could just leave in the car running Torque Pro (with the Prius PIDs) to get the absent info like: MPH, fuel, A/B trip mile counter.

I have used Torque Pro for several years for various other info, but can't find any useful fuel data. Well, there are some fuel related data points listed in Torque, but they either showed zero or a level I know to be incorrect. Is there some process that needs to be followed for these data points to be correct? If the phone/app is not started every time the car is, is the data any longer correct? My wife frequently drives the car and I doubt she'll start the phone and app each time. Would a trip counter display be a better/reliable stand-in for a fuel gauge?

My searches for this topic just seem to get related repair info the MFD, which I don't need . . . yet.

Thanks

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the context of your post, it seems likely you are talking about the combination meter (CM) not the multifunction display (MFD). Would that be a correct assumption?

The MFD is the large screen in the center of the dash above the radio.

The CM is the cluster of fluorescent displays that shows the speed, gear selection, fuel level, etc.

#2 dolj, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If your Combination Meter doesn't work, then you can't get any of that info from any app, as AFAIK the CM processes odometer (distance) functions and fuel tank level input.

Besides, even when there are no problems, I have not seen fuel level data on any scantool. Techstream will display something like - "empty" or "not empty". If anyone has seen a scantool that does show fuel level data, I would be interested in the details.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

Yes, Thanks, my error. The combination meter: the speedo, fuel level, odo/trip counter aren't working.
    I had no idea that actually processed data and didn't just report it. I guess that also explains why the cruise control doesn't work and the MPG bar graph aren't working either.

so much for my idea of getting by with the Torque App without tearing the dash apart.

6. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

Fuzzy: thanks. I've never setup an individual data point like this in Torque, but will definitely try it. But from Mr Guy's comments, my optimism is slipping.