1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel injector cleaner question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lowspeed, Apr 22, 2006.

1. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

I just did 5000 miles oil change and i thought it would be a good idea to get a fuel injector cleaner.

So i went to the store and asked the guy what he recommand and he said lucas...

While i was driving and reading the label i noticed that it says .... Fuel Treatment (Upper cylinder lubricant with injector cleaner)

I don't know if i should put it in ... Anyone knows if this is good for the engine ? (i didn't put it in the gas yet(

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrar...l_treatment.pdf

Thanks !

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A waste of money. Take it back for a refund if you can. If not leave on the counter and let them sell it to some other shmuck.

3. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Lucas actually makes stuff that work well. I'm just not sure if it's good for the prius.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    lowspeed, why do you think you need your injectors cleaned at 5K miles? That's not 5K ICE miles, and unless you regularly buy really crappy gas, I can see no reason to spend extra to buy injector cleaner. Get a tank of Chevron (With Techron®) if you're worried.

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Don't have Chevron where I live but I do try to use tier 1 gas. I normally buy Shell. If I got regualr gas, I sometimes used to add Techron which is in the auto stores.

6. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 23 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]243872[/snapback]</div>

The engine feels sluggish and i can't pass the 46mpg and it's been pretty nice and warm here.

Also the oil gets mote black then i think it should and i believe it's because the fuel doesn't burn efficiently.

7. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowspeed @ Apr 23 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]243970[/snapback]</div>

lowspeed,

How many times have you changed your oil in that 5k miles to determine it is more black that it should be? Have you tried using synthetic oil? What is your tire pressue? Bad gas can cause problems, but it is really doubtful that in 5k miles it could have clogged your injectors (and/or fuel filter). Please describe the circumstances where it feels "sluggish".

8. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Apr 23 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]243997[/snapback]</div>
    I actually changed the oil at 2400miles with mobil1 it was really dark.

at 500 i changed it again and it was pretty dark.

I had an 04 which had better acceleration and gas mileage... weird. I feel like a drunken Japanese dude assembled my car.

Also the mfd shows 45-46 when i believe in reality its more like 42mpg

9. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As far as I know there are enought detergents in gasoline to clean the injectors. I had 150k miles on my Honda Accord and never had them cleaned and the car ran perfect.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use the Lucas treatment occasionally. I finally saved the small bottle so I can buy a big bottle and use the small one to measure the doseage.

No scientific data to support its value, just that the car seemed to do well once the first dose was added and other doses haven't hurt it...

GregC1979 likes this.
  11. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    dark oil doesn't mean anything is going wrong. I use Mobil 1 too, and my oil comes out DARK! I did a Used Oil Analysis on it, and everything is good.

12. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Just wanted to report back that i decided to put it in ... and i see major improvement... My wife even told me she feels a difference.

I guess i may have put bad gas at some point.

Oh and my reasoning why dark oil is bad, i think if the oil is dark it means that the fuel doesn't burn efficiently ... but that's just my theory.

13. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Just an update, we're on the second tank since i put the fuel additive,

And the mpg just got better... we're getting 49mpg.

I cheeked the oil and it's nice and Goldy.

That thing really works. Anyone else had similar experience ?

GregC1979 likes this.